Technical Fiat Uno powered Imp engine upgrade

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat Uno powered Imp engine upgrade

Graham Paul S

Hi all,
I am a new member and am looking for some help please . . . .

I have a 1968 Sunbeam Stiletto (imp) that has a 1.0 fire out of a 1989 uno in it! It was going really well up until recently. The engine is now in trouble . . . Very poor oil pressure and sounds like the proverbial bag of spanners! Engine is going to have to come out soon for further investigation. This is my question to all of you.

Is there a later or larger engine that I could swop it for? Ideally, I would like to use my existing flywheel, since it has been modified to take an imp clutch and I would also ideally want to use my Carb and exhaust. Is a later Panda or Punto essentially the same?

Many thanks,

Graham

Uno had a variety of engine power outputs up45, 50, 60 and to 70Hp which was quite spritely. Im discounting the Turbo. There seems to be plenty of interchangability beteen Fiat engines. Im sure there will be someone along soon with much more specific advice. Much newer than the Uno and you run into issues of ECU controllers needed for the fuel injection. I have this book which might give useful information if you can get hold of a copy. Lots of similar information on swapping enines therein. Maybe the 1.4 punto / Panda new 500 unit would fit. Its certainly a great unit smooth and quiet with plenty of guts but you would need to sort a carburettor conversion.

Attachments

• 20230327_172524.jpg
    20230327_172524.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Hi all,
I am a new member and am looking for some help please . . . .

I have a 1968 Sunbeam Stiletto (imp) that has a 1.0 fire out of a 1989 uno in it! It was going really well up until recently. The engine is now in trouble . . . Very poor oil pressure and sounds like the proverbial bag of spanners! Engine is going to have to come out soon for further investigation. This is my question to all of you.

Did you baffle the sump on the Uno engine?

As I remember the Rootes engine in the Imp was canted over quite a bit, to get it to fit in there.
They used the same engine design in the Sunbeem/ Talbot samba, but facing the opposite way.

So my question is ? There are plenty of 106 and 206 models using a similar lay out. Would it not be easier to use one of those? I understand that Fiat engines are pretty builletproof. But not if they're leaning over.
Many thanks,

Graham

Thanks for the comments guys. My Uno engine is standing vertically thanks to a bit of surgery to the rear parcel shelf. What I am thinking is that if I could find a good engine even from a later car, could I bolt my current exhaust manifold, inlet manifold and flywheel onto it?

Is that a possibility?

Attachments

• 8E388A5F-88CB-40B0-9010-2D8F20A7A3A3.jpeg
    8E388A5F-88CB-40B0-9010-2D8F20A7A3A3.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 50
  • 169967A8-AD2E-4CC3-BF54-C849551A729A.jpeg
    169967A8-AD2E-4CC3-BF54-C849551A729A.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 44
  • E6AED764-7D0F-4C25-B450-80F0491D520D.jpeg
    E6AED764-7D0F-4C25-B450-80F0491D520D.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 50
I reckon A 16v 1242 Punto/Stilo engine with big Motorcycle carbs should squeeze in to. But the ignition will have to be sorted by a spark.

Quite a few have been fitted on the continental Europe. As well as the 16v 1378cc engine. But the exhaust would have to be bananed to fit in this space.

But for a pretty much straight swap, the 8v 1242cc Punto should be less problematic.

I reckon A 16v 1242 Punto/Stilo engine with big Motorcycle carbs should squeeze in to. But the ignition will have to be sorted by a spark.

Quite a few have been fitted on the continental Europe. As well as the 16v 1378cc engine. But the exhaust would have to be bananed to fit in this space.

But for a pretty much straight swap, the 8v 1242cc Punto should be less problematic.
Yup, lots of pandas with the punto lump in them so should be same for the Uno/Imp/Stiletto setup…

Thanks for that advice, much appreciated!

Back