General Fiat Uno (1993) Brakes

Currently reading:
General Fiat Uno (1993) Brakes

mike.heeney

Brakes are 90% of the time non existant. The pedal goes to the floor, if you pump pedal you get sufficient power to stop the car but the pedal still sinks to the floor. There are odd occasions though when the brakes are as they should be but there is no pattern to the problem. Hand brake is poor (seems to operate on one side only, there is also what I can describe as a clock chime when you apply the foot brakes.

Mike;)

CheekoCat

the master cylinder had to be replaced on my Uno cause my foot was going to the loor and had to pump it up;), to make them work

2106125.jpg

Don't drive it.

Sounds lethal.. regarding the clock chime:
"ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee!".[xx(]

It actually needs a hands-on look at by somebody that knows what they're doing.

In addition to Gaz's comment..

Pedal to floor is generally air in the system - it's meant to have (incompressible) fluid between the pedal and all the pistons which push the pads and shoes.
However, you can also get that sort of effect if pads and shoes are totally worn out, and the first press is just moving the bits toward the drums and discs.

You can get funny noises from all sorts of things, including: dislodged springs inside the back drums, cracked or damaged disks..

Handbrake one side only is either broken cable, or siezed up linkages, or brake fluid on the shoes one side, or worn out shoes one side ...

Get it looked at before you kill somebody.

The rear brakes on Unos are absolutely rubbish.I have to replace the shoes for each MOT as they seize up on the spring/slide adjusters.I put a bit of copper grease on the slides but they still seize.
There could well be fluid on the shoes from what you say,the cylinders leaking and giving you no pressure.

Hei.

It sounds like the master cylinder. Get a used one from a wrecked Uno. But... It may be far more easy. Brake fluid is "hygroscopic" (in Norwegian it is "hygroskopisk" so I guess thats the correct translation) which means it binds itself to water. So, if the brake fluid is old and the weather condition wher you live is moist/damp or anything, the brake system should be bled, and replaced with new high quality brake fluid. It is worth a try...

Morten Indergård.

Ah.. yes. I forgot about the cable. I used to have the same problem. Disconnect the wires underneath the car. You will see that the cable connected directly to the hand brake is connected only to one brake drum, and not to a separate wire connecting the two brake drums. A single wire is connected via a plastic wheel somewhere around the gas tank to the other brake drum. Anyway - the two wires must be cleaned and sprayed with oil. I used a bicycle chain oil containing teflon so it would slide easy and stop corrotion. Also try to clean the wire hoses and the mechanic parts where the wires are connected to the brake drums. This sorted it out for me.

The squeeking I don't know anything about - yet...

Morten Indergård.

I red that a VW golf mastersilinder fits on to the uno. You just need to modify it a bit. As for the handbrake see it your rear slavesilinders seels arent s**t.I hade the same problem.:)

Church J

i now what u mean the brakes done that to me the other week when i was dooing 75 on a dual carriageway, also the handbrake was poor on mine, i tok it a proper garage and he had said that a spring or something had snapped at the rear of the car, so ur best off taking it to a garage.

Michael

Back