Technical Fiat Tipo whining noise at 4th Gear.

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat Tipo whining noise at 4th Gear.

Kikitipo

Hello guys,

My fiat tipo overall drives okay, there is only this weird humming noise when at 4th gear. When at 5th gear it goes away. I can hear it a bit in 6th gear but not as much as in 4th. I can also hear it a little bit when accelerating and braking from 3th gear, sometimes 2nd.

I have added videos for reference. Can someone help me and tell where it might be coming from? The sound is coming from the front area.

My fiat is a 1.6 JTD Multijet with DDCT automatic transmission.

Attachments

• IMG_5546.MOV
    96.9 MB
  • IMG_5548.mov
    83 MB
Do you have the air conditioner on? It sounds just like it. However it could be many other things. Car has bearings everywhere and this doesn't sound too bad to me. All cars do make sounds.

Do you have the air conditioner on? It sounds just like it. However it could be many other things. Car has bearings everywhere and this doesn't sound too bad to me. All cars do make sounds.
Hi there,

Usually i turn it off. I haven’t noticed any difference when turned on or off.

The car drives very good, the engine sound is perfect. The sound also doesn’t affect performance. It is just suspicious to me as to why this sound is happening and the way it happens.

When you look at the first video you can clearly hear the sound at 0:20 second mark (4th gear) and at 0:29 second mark (2nd gear) these are the times when i hear the sound the most. At 5th gear it has zero sound, and at 6th gear it is minimal.(almost unnoticeable) the sound almost sounds like something electric “hmmmm”.

What i think, it might be coming from either the transmission, the clutch, or the pump. Can someone please enlighten me, or does someone have a similar experience?

Last edited:
Sounds like just a bit of transmission noise due to wear and tear etc. Has it done many miles?…unless it gets really loud I wouldn’t worry.

Sounds like just a bit of transmission noise due to wear and tear etc. Has it done many miles?…unless it gets really loud I wouldn’t worry.
86.000 Miles currently on the clock. That is what i am also thinking, that it might be something with the transimission. I was planning to maybe get a clutch kit (https://m.autodoc.be/luk/13471637) maybe that would help but not sure at the moment if it is the clutch or actual gears/bearings of the transmission.

Will definitely update when i have more information, hopefully this will help others who will face similar issues as well.

CFDC2A71-0472-45D8-B523-EA5D38533CFA.jpeg

If it's not under warranty anymore, I'd not bother doing anything to the car. All cars that i've driven have made sounds and noises and they've not broken completely, not even a noisy transmission. I would not bother with the clutch either, unless if it was slipping and already causing trouble driving it.

86.000 Miles currently on the clock. That is what i am also thinking, that it might be something with the transimission. I was planning to maybe get a clutch kit (https://m.autodoc.be/luk/13471637) maybe that would help but not sure at the moment if it is the clutch or actual gears/bearings of the transmission.

Will definitely update when i have more information, hopefully this will help others who will face similar issues as well.

View attachment 422093
Fingers crossed it will probably go on forever

I just can’t help that he sound is just really bothering me and my overall driving experience.

I bought this car couple weeks ago for €7,000 from a private seller and you know when buying a new car hearing strange sounds make you a little afraid. Looking at the comments i suppose it is not something too bad.

I am a less worried now, but just for the sake of this thread i will try and see how i can fix this so i can contribute to the forum and maybe support other owners who might someday have the same issue. Will keep you guys updated.

I want to add, i have browsed the web around this issue and i found this regarding the DDCT transmission from Fiat: (check pictures below)

Maybe this is what they mean?

Attachments

• 998B5321-C9AB-45B2-8CEE-913A43AA2BF6.jpeg
    998B5321-C9AB-45B2-8CEE-913A43AA2BF6.jpeg
    334.7 KB · Views: 44
  • EF934A0D-F2D1-4D4D-B829-218410417860.jpeg
    EF934A0D-F2D1-4D4D-B829-218410417860.jpeg
    114.2 KB · Views: 43
You've hopefully got yourself a bargain.

I'm afraid that the clutch and dmf aren't like filters, oils, liquids or belts that are periodically changed. They fall into the same category like sensors that they (almost) last the lifetime of the car until they fail. So you could do another 80k miles or even double that before anything fails.

People tend to look for answers online that support their own ideas of the matter. That doesn't make it correct. There are also many businesses that profit from product placement and marketing tactics that aren't always so transparent and obvious. When dmf and clutch fails or some gear stop working you have a problem only then, not now.

The sound is not very loud to be honest. I'd just put the radio on. You could have noisy wheel bearings too. They tend to make sound at higher speeds.

Back