Technical Fiat Tipo 1.6 1991 distributor

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat Tipo 1.6 1991 distributor

Chitao

Hi all,

So I'm thinking about buying a 1.6L Fiat Tipo (DGT?) 1991 which apparantly needs a new distributor.

They're not particularly common here in New Zealand so I'm wanting to ask two things here:

A) How much should I be expecting to pay for a new distributor?

B) Does this type of Tipo share it's distributor with any other type of Fiat or other car that could make it easier for me to find one from a wreckers?

Any info or advise would be very much appreciated.

Cheers!

- Lee

There were a lot of Tipo's in NZ. Most have gone now. The 1.6 had a distributer on the end of the cam. These dont ever give trouble. Whats actually wrong? Getting another should be easy.

Assuming the 1.6s are basically the same as the 1.4s....

I had 2 x Mk2 1.4 ie models, one was 1994 and one 1995 (still got it).

The 1994 had a different distributor / coil setup, it was more conventional. The later car had a more modern style one and different ECU.

As said above, best to diagnose what has failed and go from there. Don't necessarily believe the report that the dizzy is duff... But even getting the original reconned is an option.

Best thing is to post the car / engine details and any component part no.s or descriptions, then someone should be able to cross-check and come up with options.

I wouldn't let it put you off buying the car, sounds like a nice project.

1.4 distributer is quite different. It fits in the block and works like a conventional distributer.

1.6 distributer is different. It is on the end of the cam and it does nothing other than distributer to the spark. It does not contain any electronics. The ignition unit is mounted on the battery tray and uses a crank angle sensor on the flywheel for reference.

Back