Styling Fiat Punto TD 70

Currently reading:
Styling Fiat Punto TD 70

Kaiser

Hi ppl, i have a 1998 fiat punto td70 van , and i like some advices to be more economic, things that i can take in the car to be more "slim" , i already taked off the wood things in the trunk, only the spare wheel in the back :D.More ideias would be nice. Sorry the bad english. Thanks

Make sure your tyre pressures are as recommended. Over inflating might save you half a litre of fuel every 100 km's, but you'll end up replacing the tyres far sooner, so keep them at the manufacturers recommended pressure.

Weight savings, by removing things, are possible, but the amount you save on fuel, for instance by removing the radio, would be far outweighed by the sheer boredom of driving with no choons!

You could always walk more. That way you save the fuel of the journey, and over time you'll lose weight from all the exercise, and so when you DO drive you'll use less fuel too.

But in all seriousness, the standard advice to save fuel is to drive smoothly. Accelerate away smoothly, brake as little as possible by planning in advance, slowing down using engine braking. If you're going down a hill leave the clutch engaged. Modern engines will sense that the engine is being turned over by the momentum of the car and will stop fuelling. If you "coast" down a hill with the clutch disengaged/the vehicle out of gear then the engine has to use fuel to keep itself turning over.

Keep the windows closed. At any sort of speed, an open window can add 10% to your fuel consumption. Also avoid the use of air-con unless absolutely necessary.

There are loads of things you can do to improve economy, most of them involving your attitude as a driver. The smoother you can be, the less accelerating and braking you use, the better your fuel consumption figures will be.

Some good tips here too!

IAM

Last edited:
Id suggest good maintainance, a well serviced vehicle is always more economical, and saves money later on, things such as wheel bearings grease drying up and gearbox oil level incorrect can be costly in the long term, and if you want to really be picky, keep it clean and polished, and dont open the windows if you dont have to

Back