Grande Punto FIAT Punto Grande 07 coolant radiator fan

Currently reading:
Grande Punto FIAT Punto Grande 07 coolant radiator fan

Jamesjimmy

First post be nice,,bought wife 1.2 PETROL fiat punto for work no engine malfunction light on checked with delphi obd2 and got P0480 RELAY FAN 1 tryed to activate fan through obd2 no joy changed relay no joy
now taken black plastic off another relay and actuated it with screw driver fan works took it for a drive to get temp up dashboard temp goes to middle and stops , plugged obd2 in and put in flight mode temp went to 107 on computer and also had graph of engine fan up this showed a fan speed of 4 this was on 0 when cold
this engine has no engine fan resister im assumeing its ecu run,the cars had new thermostat housing because of leak holds water and water level is right internal heater runs perfect on hot car drives right ,,all maxi fuses are fine
my next try will be coolant temp sensor as it only goes to about 85 and stops but obd engine temp said 107
Anybody had this before or point me in right direction

thanks James:bang::bang:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi. I only just came across this post. Have you got it sorted out?

So, you seem to have a working fan and you say it's got no rad fan resistor pack? As far as I'm aware the cars with air con had this - my boy's 2012 Punto 1.4 has one - but the ones without, didn't. We had trouble with his and it turned out to be internally corroded - not much help to you I know, but as part of the checking out procedure I "drove" the fan system with MES - which lets you operate both slow and fast speeds. Although only single speed, I'm thinking you might learn more if you could drive your's with MES? Might highlight whether it's an ECU problem? At the very least it would let you hear if the relay is clicking when driven? If clicking with MES then there has to be a good chance the ECU is probably OK (but not 100% certainty)

You also mention the thermostat was replaced. Was this very recent? Is yours the old type which is just a thermostat in it's housing or the newer type which includes the temp sensor? If the newer type then maybe there's a problem with the new sensor as it comes with the new thermostat?

Just a few thoughts. Hope it's helpful?

thanks for reply
fan will not run with delphi obd2 actuator , i had a spare black relay and stripped plastic cover off so i could trick relay by a screwdriver the fan works when i do this but wont run any other way, the thermostat is built with coolant sensor in it this has the brown sensor so no not sorted it yet

thanks for reply
fan will not run with delphi obd2 actuator , i had a spare black relay and stripped plastic cover off so i could trick relay by a screwdriver the fan works when i do this but wont run any other way, the thermostat is built with coolant sensor in it this has the brown sensor so no not sorted it yet

quick update sensor did not fix fan relay no 1 so checked all wiring leading to ecu all ok that i can see not electrian ,concluesion is ECU PROBLEM was thinking plug and play ecu what numbers need to match
thank james

Back