General Fiat Punto 90 ELX MK1 1996 Power Steering Noise

Currently reading:
General Fiat Punto 90 ELX MK1 1996 Power Steering Noise

Brett Warrener

Hi All, I have only just brought my fiat punto 90 ELX 1996 privately. when i test drove the car the steering seemed a little heavy but was told by the seller the power steering belt had just given away and he would replace it before i buy it. (at this point no noise) I brought the car the following day doing a quick test drive and the steering was OK and working. (Slight noise when steering either way at real slow speeds but didn't take for a big test drive and didn't think much of it). When parking the car now or turning at less than 5-10 mph the steering makes a awful sqreeching sound and when at full look its gets louder. (doesn't sound like the belt slipping but more like a grindey sqreech,, sorry hard to tell in writing) Definately the steering through and not brakes or anything else like that as it only happens when steering at slow speeds)

I know the mk2 seem to have big power steering issues but didn't seem many threads on the mk1 having similar problems.

2 questions really.

1) Anyone know what this could be and how to fix? (rough cost would be good)

2) Would i be able to maybe disconnect the steering belt and drive with out power steering? would this cause any problems and would it be too heavy?

Looking forward to your feedback

Cheers
Brett

Back