Fiat Punto 1998 R reg help

Currently reading:
Fiat Punto 1998 R reg help

Chris Horsey

Hello

My girlfriend bought a R reg fiat punto 1.2 for £500 with 85k on the clock.
She had it running for a week and a half before it died on her.
She started it up in the morning and when she pressed the throttle it cut out and failed to start.
It starts when getting towed, but has plenty of flat spots on the throttle. Checked for sparks, fuel delievery, compression test, injector, blocked exhaust, lambda sensor. Its recently had a headgasket and cambelt done also. The car stinks when its running also.
It starts first thing then dies when parked. Sometimes can get it to start again but sometimes i have to keep cranking. It seems to be injecting too much fuel! So i changed the injector and made no difference. If we crank it, disconnect the injector then start it, it will run on the remaining fuel then i quickly connect the injector whilst running and it seems to be ok. Bought 2 new coils today and made no difference either.
Has anyone on here had a similar problem and how did you cure it?
I work in a garage as an apprentice but we have no adapter for the scanner we have for this car.
If you need more info then just ask.
The car does struggles when running. Sometimes when started we have foot flat to the floor and it does not rev at all for about 2-5mins

Last edited:
Back