Styling Fiat panda Gear knob replace

Currently reading:
Styling Fiat panda Gear knob replace

57platepanda

Hi guys, I've just bought a gearknob off Amazon, it's a togue runners metallic red one, it's meant to be universal and comes with 4 sizes of thread and none of them seem to fit, has anyone hear replaced theres and no if screw ons work or if there's a different threading I need

Well, there'll be a way, but probably a bit of a faff. Have you removed the old gearknob?

I agree, the standard gearknob is a bit grim, I was idly contemplating changing mine, but figured it's more hassle than it's worth.

Maybe cutting a thread on the gear lever, but I think it's made of finest solid plastic(?) so not ideal. Possibly a threaded collar insert and cut out the splined section of the old gear knob? Or a dollop of epoxy resin for a quality engineering job.

I was even thinking about putting in a 500 lever as they're much nicer and share so many parts with a Panda. I've no idea if it's a straight swap, though. I couldn't find any reference to this so gave up:eek:

Well, there'll be a way, but probably a bit of a faff. Have you removed the old gearknob?

I agree, the standard gearknob is a bit grim, I was idly contemplating changing mine, but figured it's more hassle than it's worth.

Maybe cutting a thread on the gear lever, but I think it's made of finest solid plastic(?) so not ideal. Possibly a threaded collar insert and cut out the splined section of the old gear knob? Or a dollop of epoxy resin for a quality engineering job.

I was even thinking about putting in a 500 lever as they're much nicer and share so many parts with a Panda. I've no idea if it's a straight swap, though. I couldn't find any reference to this so gave up:eek:

Thanks for leaving such a detailed response, the old gear knob popped right off just left with the stick, I believe its metal, I dont really mind faffing without as long as I can get it done without causing damage, only issue is the knob I've bought had return window so I needed a solution asap

Oh, is the splined part of the lever metal? Thanks, I wasn't aware. In that case, it would be possible to use a die to cut a thread on the lever.

If this makes the lever too small to fit the threads that came with your new gearknob, then threaded inserts may be available, or cut your own with a tap and die from a short section of steel rod.

If you don't fancy a diy job, then I'm sure a precision engineers could do this for you for not much cost.

There are some good posts in the GUIDES section showing the gear lever assembly. I'll be interested to see how you get on! I'm beginning to think it's a good idea again!

Last edited:
Oh, is the splined part of the lever metal? Thanks, I wasn't aware. In that case, it would be possible to use a die to cut a thread on the lever.

If this makes the lever too small to fit the threads that came with your new gearknob, then threaded inserts may be available, or cut your own with a tap and die from a short section of steel rod.

If you don't fancy a diy job, then I'm sure a precision engineers could do this for you for not much cost.

There are some good posts in the GUIDES section showing the gear lever assembly. I'll be interested to see how you get on! I'm beginning to think it's a good idea again!
I believe it is yeah I'll take a look in a bit to make sure & yeah if I do somehow figure it out ill make a new thread for others

Just a thought, 57, before you go too far hacking things about...

Does your new gearknob have space for the reverse ring to lift up into?

I took mine off today to see if I could source a replacement. I haven't been able to find any yet that are both push-on and have a lift-up reverse recess.

Hi I have an 8 ball 3 grub screw retro fit for mine only problem I had was socket in the knob was too big and the lift ring for reverse return spring kept getting stuck so simple fix was add a washer under the retro fit knob to keep the spring down and just fitted both a little higher than would on any normal (non lift reverse) gear stick and works perfectly tho for on road use I stick to a slightly worn stock knob (plastic socket splines slightly worn meaning with a firm grip I can rotate the stock knob on the shaft making removal easy with out affecting functionality)

I bought a cheap plastic from Aliexpress and it works perfectly.
I bought it as a gift for a friend as he had replaced a broken stock with a fancy custom one,...which would not stay in place. It gave us some funny moments when the know was thrown back in the car, but it ended up being annoying.

The Fiat solutions is simple and it works, but there are times when I think their solutions are to inflexible.

But you can't take the joke, you should not have bought a Panda ;-)

I think somewhere I've seen that the 500 stick assembly fits Panda. I did like the round ball of the 500.

Beware the shiny chromed ball of the 500 Sport. Looks lovely, frighteningly cold in winter, can burn in summer. The black plastic on the Pop was so much better.

The Fiat solutions is simple and it works, but there are times when I think their solutions are to inflexible.

But you can't take the joke, you should not have bought a Panda ;-)
I agree, and I don't mind the Panda's poverty spec interior at all:)

I just think it would be nice if the tactile bits (steering wheel, gearknob, handbrake) were a bit more, well, pleasant to hold.

And easier to upgrade. As you say, FIAT didn't design them to be replaced.

An aftermarket leather gearknob would be my preference, but I can't find any that would be a simple replacement, without cutting a thread on to the stick.

500 items seem the best aftermarket option to me, but it's still not an easy swap.

As @portland_bill says, maybe the complete 500 stick could be substituted? Has anyone done this?

As well as the gearknob being a different attachment to the stick, it appears the steering wheel has a different airbag system.

I did see a handbrake lever replace thread somewhere, but it looks like a lot of work.

After seeing @CHILLA's retrimmed wheel, I'm starting to think maybe a professional retrim might be the best (but expensive) way forward...

P.S. John the Stitcher in Thame did some superb work for us in the past, now no longer with us, sadly missed.

Last edited:
I would like to find a replacement for my 100HP gearknob as the shiny leather is flaking away round the sides. I can't find the original new anywhere so would have to settle for something aftermarket but nothing really catches my eye...

I would like to find a replacement for my 100HP gearknob as the shiny leather is flaking away round the sides. I can't find the original new anywhere so would have to settle for something aftermarket but nothing really catches my eye...

Take off the leather and use it was a pattern to make a new leather cover. An ordinary Panda knob will do the job while the posh one is being retrimmed.

This is cheap enough to take a punt on
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Speed-PU-Leather-Manual-Gear-Shift-Knob-For-FIAT-500-ABARTH-PUNTO-UK/352720866946?hash=item521fcd4e82:g:k3UAAOSwx7JdnaW5

Here's another
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=153847124939&_sacat=0

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
the newer pandas fit but they have different gear change cables fittings

they do bolt straight on but you can't connect the cables

But can be changed as a complete set. Gear stick, cables and gearbox bracket

the big rubber grommet in the middle has to be cut off and swapped over And the well plastic base of the gaiter swapped over.

Not straight forward but not difficult. You gain spring-loaded self centring

Back