PXL_20230707_183138918.jpg

Panda Fiat Panda Dynamic Multijet 'Pepe'

Pepe is my MK2 Panda Dynamic Multijet in Grigio Havanna 😁

Introduction

Pepe is my 2007 Fiat Panda Dynamic Multijet! He's Grigio Havanna and that's what really attracted me to him in the first place. He's my daily workhorse and I look forward to many more roadtrips with him!
So I've almost had Pepe a month now and it already feels like we've been together forever! This little Panda has really got under my skin 🤎

So far I've just been using him as the daily workhorse and enjoying every moment.

This weekend I serviced him for the first time in my ownership and he definitely feels better for it. The last recorded service was 2021, so who knows... He might have been very overdue!

While I had him on the ramp I got to check out the underside, and I'm very impressed! Little to no rust at all, and for a 16 year old Panda, that's not bad going! I cleaned up and rust treated the rear beam and rear suspension and then undersealed the whole underside. Just abit of added protection for when the worst of winter hits.

Long live Pepe my little diesel Panda 🤎🐼

Attachments

• PXL_20230729_132830752~2.jpg
    PXL_20230729_132830752~2.jpg
    964.1 KB · Views: 63
It's been said many times, the timing chain will last for 100,000 miles. I believe it's considerably undersized). Just change it around that mileage and do the same again.
Thank you very much! I was actually going to ask on here when they should be changed. He's just ticked over to 93k, so I'll get it done ASAP 👍🏼

My broken timing chain (I bought the car like that) was only part worn. But links had fractured. I believe Fiat messed up the design but left it too late to fit a double row chain or better a timing belt like they have on every other engine based on the original FIRE concept

My broken timing chain (I bought the car like that) was only part worn. But links had fractured. I believe Fiat messed up the design but left it too late to fit a double row chain or better a timing belt like they have on every other engine based on the original FIRE concept
So worth fitting a double row chain?

The OEM chain is highly unlikely to last 300,000 miles. Mostly low speed and town stop-start will dramatically shorten it's life. As said, my timing chain was hardly worn and both sprockets were good. There is no oil that can protect an under-spec chain from a side link fatigue fracture.

The OEM chain is highly unlikely to last 300,000 miles. Mostly low speed and town stop-start will dramatically shorten it's life. As said, my timing chain was hardly worn and both sprockets were good. There is no oil that can protect an under-spec chain from a side link fatigue fracture.
Already posted a 320K on original chain

Here's someone's elese

I've just changed my Combo, I'm on my 4th one now, they've all been 1.3 CDTi's.

I guess it all depends how well they've been looked after but the one I have just got rid of had 279,000 miles on the clock. I've learn't from past experience that regular oil & filter changes are the key to getting a decent life out of your engine, especially this chain driven 1.3 Fiat engine. I do mine every 10,000 miles ish (which is half the recommended interval) and given the mileage I do that equated to an oil change every 5 or so weeks. I put 220,000 miles on that van and other than an alternator and glow plugs it never had any work done to the engine.

And there plenty of others if you look at the combi owners

Already posted a 320K on original chain

Here's someone's elese

I've just changed my Combo, I'm on my 4th one now, they've all been 1.3 CDTi's.

I guess it all depends how well they've been looked after but the one I have just got rid of had 279,000 miles on the clock. I've learn't from past experience that regular oil & filter changes are the key to getting a decent life out of your engine, especially this chain driven 1.3 Fiat engine. I do mine every 10,000 miles ish (which is half the recommended interval) and given the mileage I do that equated to an oil change every 5 or so weeks. I put 220,000 miles on that van and other than an alternator and glow plugs it never had any work done to the engine.

And there plenty of others if you look at the combi owners
Amazing! Mine seems to have been pretty well looked after. Doesn't use any oil or water and pulls very well.

I do around 15k a year, so I'll be doing oil changes every 10k minimum

Amazing! Mine seems to have been pretty well looked after. Doesn't use any oil or water and pulls very well.

I do around 15k a year, so I'll be doing oil changes every 10k minimum
Cool

What normally happens is

The oil gets dirty

The chain stetches

The tensioner either runs out of adjustment or jams, usually there is an increased rattling noise for the first few second on cold start up

The chain rattles on a bit longer until the side eventually let's go

If the service is unknown it would be prudent to fit or have fitted a new chain kit for peace of mind, but you have to make that decision for yourself

Mine had 130K when the chain broke. It probably had regular oil changes because bearings are all good as new. But it was also driven very slowly. The soot clogged inlet manifold, cylinder head and oil control piston rings attest to that. Use them as intended and all is good. Hyper-mile everywhere and you'll pay with soot and broken chains.

Last edited:
Cool

What normally happens is

The oil gets dirty

The chain stetches

The tensioner either runs out of adjustment or jams, usually there is an increased rattling noise for the first few second on cold start up

The chain rattles on a bit longer until the side eventually let's go

If the service is unknown it would be prudent to fit or have fitted a new chain kit for peace of mind, but you have to make that decision for yourself
I think I will just for peace of mind. I do have probably 2/3 seconds of rattle on cold start

The chain on mine was not significantly stretched. A sideways curve test would suggest about half worn. Main bearings, bores, oil pump and valves are in excellent condition suggesting good lubrication. However rockers and lifter ball joints all had significant wear and some rockers had broken up needle rollers. Rockers hit by the piston were of course broken, but hardly mattered as they all had to be replaced anyway.

Piston oil control rings were full of carbon. Shorter oil changes (or bypass oil filter) would deal with that.

Judging by the general wear in my engine (very little on bearings or bores), I'm not sure the rockers would last much longer than 130K. The ball ends were worn out and needles had fallen into the sump. These cannot be changed without lifting the cams which means removing the cam chain so you'd be changing that anyway.

The chain on mine was not significantly stretched. A sideways curve test would suggest about half worn. Main bearings, bores, oil pump and valves are in excellent condition suggesting good lubrication. However rockers and lifter ball joints all had significant wear and some rockers had broken up needle rollers. Rockers hit by the piston were of course broken, but hardly mattered as they all had to be replaced anyway.

Piston oil control rings were full of carbon. Shorter oil changes (or bypass oil filter) would deal with that.

Judging by the general wear in my engine (very little on bearings or bores), I'm not sure the rockers would last much longer than 130K. The ball ends were worn out and needles had fallen into the sump. These cannot be changed without lifting the cams which means removing the cam chain so you'd be changing that anyway.
All sounds very expensive! 😂🙈

I did the work over a few months no stress. Total costs including some special tools about £700 including buying the car.

Timing chain kit and full gasket set £130 plus another £20 for dynamic damper hub.

Rockers and lifters £150

Piston rings (£75) Take care some providers ant silly money.

Head bolts about £20 I cant fully remember

Diesel injection pump £150

Used injector £30

Other stuff seals bits n bobs add up to about £600. I paid £100 for the car as it was an unknown quantity.

Back