General Fiat Panda 169 4x4 Climbing - Tyre size

Currently reading:
General Fiat Panda 169 4x4 Climbing - Tyre size

poxon

Hello everyone,

I am looking into buying new off road/all terrain tyres for my little panda. The model is 4x4 169 Climbing edition (2004). I was looking into getting 185/75 R14 tyres but I am a bit worried they will not fit and that they will be rubbing against the arches. I did some measuring and it seems it would be a really tight fit. Did anyone have any experience with these dimensions and can share it? Thanks a lot in advance!

Edit: wrong Panda section -.- sorry for this if someone can move it or delete it that would be great

Last edited:
Yes, they will rub at the rear of front arches and the front of rear arches. More worryingly, the front ones will rub the sidewalls on the springs and you will not see it until it goes bang!
I put 175/70’s on the standard wheels but with 5mm spacers and ‘tapped’ the arches in a touch and warmed up the plastic trims to ‘fit’ the new arch profile.
I later went for some 15” MK2 punto alloys with 10mm spacers but had to modify the arches further…

The following was commented on this video using 185/70R14 tyres;
I reached the same wheel diameter - 615 mm (while stocking is 596 mm), - and it's max possible with stock fenders (I tried :) ), - I installed R15 195x60), so the width of the wheels is increased and they produce corresponding grater rolling resistance but are more stable in mud with grater contact area. To avoid collisions with fenders I had to put 10 mm plates between brake disk and wheel rim. And I still have avrg 7-8 l/100 km petrol consumption, or 8-10 l/100 km LPG.

I haven't tested for myself, so I might be spreading misinformation here - but I've ordered winter tyres for my own car based on this.

I haven't tested for myself, so I might be spreading misinformation here - but I've ordered winter tyres for my own car based on this.
I was referring more to the dedicated mud and snow tyres with much more aggressive treads which are often bigger circumferences, and therefore diameter, than is stated…it’s why many off-road tyre suppliers state the rolling circumference

Thanks everyone!

I got the same conclusion you had @porta when I measured it but just wanted to check if I am missing something. It was really close when measured but yes, aggressive treads will go over the limit definitively. Thanks for confirming it.

Back