Off Topic Fiat new 500 configurator

Currently reading:
Off Topic Fiat new 500 configurator

Is it just me or is the new Configurator on Fiat's web-site totally crap? :D

I'm wondering because I looked at the Colour Therapy in the retro' 1970's colours. It occured to me that Fiat may have tweaked the configuator with metaphorical velour seats to give me the full 70's experience.. :D

It's just waaaaaay too slow. "Working to Rule" (ask your dad) maybe?

It doesn't show all the options I select .. even big stuff like the chrome kit. Dodgy-1970's stylee build quality perhaps?

The layout is just bit clumsy and unintuitive to use... the equivalent of bunging in a "digital dashboard" when the analogue clocks were fine, I supposed...?

Unfortunately there were no ladies in bikinis draped over my car and the prices were in Pounds rather than in Guineas... so I suspect that these "problems" are not deliberate. :D

Has anyone else had issues or is it just my pokey old works PC. Not sure whether industrial action would persuade ITS to upgrade me... Might have to resort to flying pickets (again, ask your dad! :D)

Ralf S.

Last edited:
Is it just me or is the new Configurator on Fiat's web-site totally crap?

No: it's not you. The new Panda one is nowhere near as good -- or quick -- as the old, Flash-based one. (And I say this as a long-time Apple user, having had to access the old configurator on my iPad by slightly dubious means....) (n)

PS: And I'm old enough to remember the three-day week, and eating dinner by candlelight, because of routine power-cuts... :cry:

PPS: Once saw the Flying Pickets live... -- absolutely fabulous...! :D

Last edited:
No: it's not you. The new Panda one is nowhere near as good -- or quick -- as the old, Flash-based one. (And I say this as a long-time Apple user, having had to access the old configurator on my iPad by slightly dubious means....) (n)

PS: And I'm old enough to remember the three-day week, and eating dinner by candlelight, because of routine power-cuts... :cry:

PPS: Once saw the Flying Pickets live... -- absolutely fabulous...! :D

going way off topic here, but one of them died a few months back.
RIP Brian Hibbard, great in twin town (t*ts and hand shandy)

as for the web site, i think it was better before, but now it works on ipads and nexus 7's. win some, loose some.

going way off topic here, but one of them died a few months back.
RIP Brian Hibbard, great in twin town (t*ts and hand shandy)

as for the web site, i think it was better before, but now it works on ipads and nexus 7's. win some, loose some.

Yeah: I too saw that he'd died. A real character.... Very sad.... :(

And agree about the website, too. Find the new version to be a real PITA... -- even on my iPad.... :(

God it really is bad.

Also hopelessly unintuitive - took me 5 minutes to find where to put in that I wanted Dualogic when I had a little play just then. Expected it somewhere around where you chose the engine - instead it was under "interior".

Curiously the URL for my selection was over 200 characters long. Bonkers. Looked like this (after the main fiat.co.uk bit):

/uk/fiat-500?status=1&car=150|001|001500331000|268$5CA|201@-&opt=008|009|011|029|052|101|150|201@-|218|268$5CA|295|339|499|4XE|500|502|505|5DE|614|626|717|803|823|876|890|&wheel=4XE&packs=#

...took me 5 minutes to find where to put in that I wanted Dualogic when I had a little play just then. Expected it somewhere around where you chose the engine - instead it was under "interior".

Curiously the URL for my selection was over 200 characters long. Bonkers.

Just before I cancelled our order for the new Panda, I went back on there: and initially thought that the Dualogic option had been removed...! :confused:

Sadly, the URLs have always been like this: it's basically just a long list of all the options you've chosen...! :shakehead:

Last edited:
I'm glad it's not just me then... :eek:

Luckily the "Give us your opinion" feedback box popped up, so I told it how my order was piling up uncollected in the streets.. :D

Unfortunately the programmers are in a Union and are only interested in collective bargaining... May have to wait a while for a resolution..

The 70's weren't all that good at all really, were they? Just the ladies in bikinis at the car-shows... <wistful sigh!> :D

Ralf S.

Back