Technical Fiat Marea 20v Not Starting

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat Marea 20v Not Starting

davethehorse

My wife took our Marea out last night and it would not start to drive home. The battery then went flat. She called the AA who checked the battery and said it was charged (ie 12v) but knackered (dropped to 0v on starting).

He then changed the battery but the car still would not start. Does the car need the red masterkey to restart the engine after disconnecting the battery? - the AA man said not but I have read on a forum that you do and I unfortunately do not have one.

Anyone know if this is the case as I would have thought the AA should check a red key is accessable before disconnecting the battery.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Dave if the key code light goes out when you turn on the ignition you do not need the red key

Thanks for the replies guys - I have now noticed the key code light on the dash doesnt come on at all when the ignition is on - looks like an electrical fault/blown fuse - any ideas??

Engine turns over but doesnt start.

Dave

There is a 15 amp fuse for the fiat code system in the engine compartment on the battery rack hope this will help Dave.

Thanks for that Shaun - checked the fuse and it was blown but when I changed it and turned on the ignition it blew again straight away - must be a short somewhere - any ideas again?

Thanks for your advise.

Dave

maybe the AA man has trapped a wire around the battery, did the code light come on when your wife tried to start it the first time?

Hi Dave,
Let us know how you get on. Have you put any pics of your car up yet?

Dave

banner3.jpg

Turned out to be a loom around the back off the manifold with a dead short to earth taking out the 15a ECU fuse.

Thankfully now sorted and Marea back on the road without too much expense!

Dave

Back