General Fiat Idea windscreen/rubber seal

Currently reading:
General Fiat Idea windscreen/rubber seal

Boats

Sorry this is long!

Back in October my 2004 Fiat Idea 1.4 was in the garage for MOT. Somehow, the mechanic managed to break my windscreen, so they told me they'd replace it free of charge (so they should).

Anyway, 3 weeks later the rubber seal on the left side comes flying up from the bottom while I'm driving and starts flapping around in the wind. I took it back to them and they called the windscreen company to come and sort it, the windscreen tech told me that at the time of changing the screen, he advised the garage that the seals should also be changed, but it is an expensive job (so I assume this is why they didn't do it, nor tell me they should be changed).

He glued the seal down and I went on my way. Fast forward to now and the top of the seal has come away and is flapping in the wind again, scaring the s*** out of me everytime it bangs against the windscreen.

I'm obviously going to go back to the garage but I'm not keen on them just glueing them down, because evidently that glue isn't lasting very long.

What I want to know is, is it true/standard practice that the seals should be changed with the screen? And should I rant at the garage in hope they'll change them for me? I'm not willing to pay for them to be changed since the windscreen was in perfect condition when it first went for its MOT.

Whatever it is, the garage need to come correct.

IMO, it's not unreasonable to expect to be returned to the position you were in before they damaged the glass. Before we go all judge, jury and executioner on the matter, can you post up an picture of the offending bit(s) please?

my son had a similar issue on a pug 308 where a "budget" screen change had been done for the cars trade sale, edge seals had been re-used, leaked into cabin + fuseboard.:yuck:

we ended up getting it replaced on insurance - £80 XS;)

fitter said what a lousy job had been done..,(n)

SO if garage are not playing ball - a proper repair IS within reach.., :)

Charlie

Last edited:
my son had a similar issue on a pug 308 where a "budget" screen change had been done for the cars trade sale, edge seals had been re-used, leaked into cabin + fuseboard.:yuck:

Charlie

The insurer's role is not to pay to correct poorly fitted windscreens. To that effect, initiating a claim would be akin to fraud.

This is when it first happened back in November, the same has happened this time but it's come away from the top.

Attachments

• 1430784872315.jpg
    1430784872315.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 36

Charlie

According to the receipt I got, the screen change wasn't cheap. I didn't pay for it but the price was on the invoice.

That is new trim time, and the garage should be moving mountains to get it put right for you.

I'm off to see them in the morning, I don't like complaining or conflict so I'm going to be brave and not settle for more gluing down!

Back