Technical Fiat ducato 2.8i jtd not starting after winter

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat ducato 2.8i jtd not starting after winter

Yorkysteve

Hi I have a 2001 fiat ducato 2.8i jtd motorhome 2001 tried to start it after winter but engine turned over but not firing. I changed fuel filter but no fuel coming out of pipe. I checked the tank float pipes and no fuel coming from there when engine turns over and cannot locate fuel pump. It worked perfectly before winter but was left with a full tank of deisel over winter any ideas anyone. Thank you

Hi just been working on it again is it possible there could be an air lock in the fuel system after I changed the filter if so how could I get rid of it also tried to bypass the isolater by jumping the terminals on power cable to it (picture uploaded here) but not sure which terminals to jump on connecter. Any advice appreciated. Also going to fit a bleed pump from outlet on fuel filter would that work. Thank you all

Attachments

• 20240505_120332.jpg
    20240505_120332.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
Hi just been working on it again is it possible there could be an air lock in the fuel system after I changed the filter if so how could I get rid of it also tried to bypass the isolater by jumping the terminals on power cable to it (picture uploaded here) but not sure which terminals to jump on connecter. Any advice appreciated. Also going to fit a bleed pump from outlet on fuel filter would that work. Thank you all

If that is the plug for the injector pump

DO NOT JUMP ANY WIRES THERE

YOU WILL CAUSE MASSIVE PROBLEMS

The imobiliser is more complicated than you think

To test if it will start, the quickest way would be to put the injector pump inlet straight in a can of clean diesel, most pumps will suck up a short distance.
If it runs it will only do this for a short time as no return to can.
As has been mentioned do not try to bypass or power up any fuses or relays etc. Serious damage can occur.:oops:

Tried to pump fuel through with hand pimp but will not start still had mobile mechanic round tried to check diagnostics but would not connect to system after further checks he said it looks like a faulty key code ignition ring so reccomends auto electrician to fit and recode keys

Tried to pump fuel through with hand pimp but will not start still had mobile mechanic round tried to check diagnostics but would not connect to system after further checks he said it looks like a faulty key code ignition ring so reccomends auto electrician to fit and recode keys
I am sorry Steve, but I do not understand what diagnostics your mobile mechanic was trying to connect to. On a 2.8idTD there is no electronic engine management system, so no engine diagnostic system. (As an exception there may be a simple prcessor to control EGR if fitted.)
I doubt that an auto electrician, or locksmith will be able to code keys to a failed code receiver/immobiliser system.
The key code "ignition ring" is only the aeriel for communicating with the keys. As I have advised in a previous post it is good idea to clean the connection to the code receiver. Some forum members have reported that just reseating the connector was sufficient to enable starting.

Thank you for that all of the information from everyone especially yourself has been very helpful and welcoming but some of it is beyond what I can do which is why o contacted a mechanic its been a few weeks since I have been trying but it still not working but all of you help and advice has been appreciated and thank you all

When you were priming with the squeeze bulb did you fit the bulb the correct way round?(they only pump one way) . Did the bulb eventually go from easy to squeeze to hard to squeeze?
Did you fit bulb in fuel feed pipe?
Where the bulb fitted the existing fuel pipe were the joints leak free ,not sucking in air?

There is good news in you have primed the low pressure side of the injection pump.

If you are able you could undo (1 turn) the high pressure injector pipe nuts at each injector , turn on ignition, make sure immobilser light out,accelerator fully down,crank engine , look to see if fuel has come from around the pipe nuts?

The above is part of bleeding air out of diesel and will tell if immobilser is stopping pump injecting.

Try to stay positive there are still options.

Just found code reciever and cleaned terminals but code light still on so no point in loosening injector pipes until code light goes out I am unable to access immobiliser due to lack of knowledge as to what I am doing and age so if anyone knows a suitable mechanic who lives in the selby or surrounding areas who can be trusted please let me know thank you
Steve

At one point you wrote code light was going out when you used "black" key , is the code light now staying on and not going out whichever key you use?

Have you reconnected this plug?

Yes it stays on with both keys unless I disconnect battery for 20 secs then connect it switch on ignition code on switch off ignition then on again code off but still won't start then switch I on ignition code back on cleaned receiver connections but still on just looking at immobiliser now getting up courage to try to disable it. Thank you. Oh and it is all recovered again

Just followed wires to immobiliser and looked to see if I can remove the circuit bord or disarm it but the is an ijector pipe in front of it and awkward to get at can I just disconnect the plug would that work

Back