General fiat doblo 57 plate top mount

Currently reading:
General fiat doblo 57 plate top mount

geddy1972

I have agreed to purchase a 57 plate fiat doblo dynamic with the 1.9 120bhp multijet engine in it.

it is very clean and has only done 42,000 miles.

the seller has agreed to get an mot on it and has rung to say it has passed.

upon looking on the gov.uk website to see the mot history it has come up with the following on the latest mot

Advisory notice item(s)
nearside rear Shock absorber has a slightly worn bush (2.7.4)
offside rear Shock absorber has a slightly worn bush (2.7.4)
Nearside front top mount bearing assembly, bearing excessively worn

is this normal for a 42,000 mile 9 year old car ?

surely if it is excessively worn its a failure !!!

the last mot had no advises on it.

I am now concerned that it could be a heap of trouble.

any help please ?

Last edited:
is this just a fiat thing ?

I have a 22 year old Toyota previa that has done 102,000 miles and weighs 2 tonnes and has never had any of the suspension components changed !

I also have a 15 year old Hyundai amica that's done 70,000 and also has never had any thing changed on the suspension !

will I be changing things yearly on the doblo until its had completely new suspension all round ? !!!!

The qubo and doblo upper suspension mounts are exposed to the elements as they are located under the scuttle where water gets at them constantly.

Unlike most other cars where they are under the bonnet.

I too have owned many cars where I have not had to do this type of work, apart from the odd broken Spring, or leaking shocker.

However that is how fiat designed these cars, you need to get the redesigned, fully enclosed upper mounts fitted and hopefully ( fingers crossed ) will not have to repeat the exercise agin any time soon.

Ken

I am going to have the top mounts replaced by my local garage on Monday.

once done I will give them a good coat of underseal to try to make them last abit longer than the old ones or make up a cover to go over them completely.

by the way does anyone know if I will have to get the tracking done once they are replaced ?

Just out of interest
I just fitted a R/H top mount to my 2011 doblo. I ordered the part ,the box is marked R/H but the part is a mirror image of what I need.
The original top bush is marked L/H but fitted to the R/H/S
Had to order left and fit yo right.

Ken

I am going to have the top mounts replaced by my local garage on Monday.

once done I will give them a good coat of underseal to try to make them last abit longer than the old ones or make up a cover to go over them completely.

by the way does anyone know if I will have to get the tracking done once they are replaced ?

Hi,

Don't think that yo will need to need to cover them in under seal, as the new ones have a sealed top surface as opposed to the old ones which were open topped.

As for tracking, not sure as I had mine done at the garage, not shown on the receipt.

Ken

Last edited:
Hi Ken,

is that the genuine ones that are a new design ?

I don't know if my garage will be using genuine or non genuine ones.

I was quoted £200 per side by my local fiat garage and the garage who will be doing the work quoted me £100 per side.

As far as I am aware the garage used OEM ones, however having priced up my local fiat garage, the main difference in prices came down to my local garage only charges £40 + vat an hour labour.

The cost of the part was around £40 either way

Total cost was £105 a side

Ken

not a happy bunny !!

my local garage have had abit of an accident with my pristine doblo whilst they were doing the top strut mounts.

the machine that compresses the springs on the front strut decided to spit out the spring. the result is one os sliding door window smashed, two dents in bonnet and small ding in sliding door !

and it turns out that the mechanic doing the job told me that the strut mounts didn't need changing after all !!

I swear this flipping car will be jinxed !

I Suggest strongly that you change garage as soon as they have had your car professionally repaired ( by a proper body shop ) at their expense including a courtesy car.

Also If the strut mounts were worn and needing replacement the only way you would know that was the problem is if they changed them and the grinding noise cleared.

Think about it, if you were to try to reproduce the fault on the old mounts, they are no longer under any pressure, so they would probably sound alright, however once mounted and fitted, any slight roughness would give you the same symptoms you had?

Back