Fiat Dealers to Avoid

Currently reading:
Fiat Dealers to Avoid

Chiipping Sodbury Motor Company - Formerly Dando's of Chipping Sodbury. My advice is to avoid their monthly service plan at all costs.

They are very quick to get you to sign up to it and for TWG Services to start taking the money.

However should you cancel and be eligible for a refund they are quite frankly appaling. A refund should have been made to us by mid February and as of today it has still not been made, this is 2 months after we have cancelled.

We are now in the process of filing a claim against them via Money Claim Online.

Sounds bad but...you can't condemn a whole dealership/company on the basis of one person gave you poor advice or is ignoring your request.

Motor Village service department Battersea:

AVOID.

I won't go into details now (as it'd fill several pages), but suffice to say they are probably the most unprofessional, slow, and duplicitous bunch of people I've ever had the misfortune of dealing with.

A summary though:

Car was supplied with small dent in rear arch. 'missed in PDI' (or done after, I fear)
Repair for dent was horrendously managed, was without car for 5 days
(Complained to FIAT and got goodwill as acknowledgement of this)

When oil was changed for first service, a trained chimp with a misfitting socket undid and then overtorqued the sump plug (nicely chewed)
Oil was overfilled - seems to be a common FIAT dealership trait.

Bumper paint peeled around chrome trim - took 3 weeks to faff about to arrange repair, at least I did get a courtesy car this time!

Car returned from this without aerial mast (which I did not notice until this weekend), and now they deny all knowledge of it ever being removed. DESPITE masking tape marks being visible over roof explaining the need to remove the aerial mast.

Suffice to say, I'll be purchasing a replacement mast (NOT from their parts department!), and will never darken their door again.

Last edited:
PLATTS GARAGE, LONGTON...........NIGHTMARE!!!!!

Took Motorhome for service
Returned home
2 weeks later took MH for MOT
Advised coolant leak (had a look......obvious dripping from bottom hose)

Question: when doing a service do they look at the engine?
Answer: hmmmm

Took it back to them as still in 3years warranty, didn't know whether it would be covered under warranty and they were only going to have a look and let me know what the fault was. They decided to fix it without telling me and then charged me £70 for changing a bottom hose clip.

They also changed the ECU after 18months from new only for it to get water ingress which went into the wiring loom then told me it wasn't covered under the warranty and would cost me £2300....nightmare. Fiat Eventually agreed to fix after some arguing. My argument was Platts changed the ECU which was more than likely not done properly requiring a new ECU AND wiring loom

Complete shockers

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!!

Update to Mr Fiat Saga on the thread in the locked thread under the 500 classic Heading.
I spent the afternoon with my Solicitors yesterday and following their advice I contacted David at Mr Fiat via email and made him aware of my Solicitors meeting and again politely requested a response.
Since the thread is locked in the 500 classic section, I feel it only proper to update Forum users of the situation.
Today I finally got an explanation from David at Mr Fiat.
The following is a copy of his email and my reply via the ebay system:

As you know from our previous email correspondence(sent to bentleyturbohire on March 18th) the Ferrari lens set we had in stock at the time of your order turned out to be a mismatched set. When we took your order the parts were in stock but turned out to be mismatched. Unfortunately, the supplier in Germany for the lenses has been extremely slow to send out replacements(we actually received 2 orders since then from the same supplier). The issue was they ignored our issue of a mismatched sets even though we emailed them on multiple occasions attaching photos of the mismatched pairs. On our last order, to remedy this issue, incase they continued to ignore our request to fix the mismatched sets we ordered 3 full sets. These sets shipped DHL last Monday from Germany, but for some reason they did not ship it DHL GLS(high class service) so we are at the mercy of the post office to deliver the lenses. The last scan is April 16th in Frankfurt. The side marker lights have been sit aside for you since February 7th. The door handle gaskets as mentioned previously arrive from a manufacturer in Italy and we are also still waiting for that order which has not been shipped yet. Unfortunately, along the way you purchased the $4 spare tire holder at the wrong price and demanded it be included in your shipment and this is where the hole ordeal unfolded. We will email you the tracking # when your order ships which will be very soon.

BR,
David

- misterfiat

Dear misterfiat,

Thank you David.

That's all I was asking for.
Thank you for your explaination. Yes I did get the email on the 18th, but as it also said I'd have the parts next week, and when they didn't arrive, and I had to contact you rather than you contacting me you can understand that I became very confused and disappointed that I had been given several dates for delivery of my goods that had not been kept.
Had you explained clearly as each supplier or shipping company had let you down at the time it happened, as you have done today, then I would not of taken the unusual path to try and get a explaination from you or your company. I am in business too, and find that a compliant is usually down to communication or understanding between the two parties, or lack of it.
I will cease the cyber bombardment for now. But you have a good feel for what pressure I can put you and your business under if you fail to deliver or don't communicate any problems that occur. Let's not go down that route again, it does consume my time too.
Please stay in touch and keep me informed of progress.

Thank you again for responding.

Kind regards
Darren

I will of course make a short post when the parts arrive. This has been a bizarre experience and I only wish Mr Fiat had posted this reply instead of the route the other thread took. I really don't understand why it was so difficult to reveal?

what's the story are they even a fiat dealer? seem to be jap cr@p and American junk when googled

Great that makes me feel even better!

I have put a very brief description in the Qubo forum, I'll bring it over here. Just tip of the iceberg really.
I am wanting to know if there is anything I can do.

This is my post over there

i there

I am really really upset and not sure what to do.

I purchased a brand new Fiat Qubo 1.3 multijet my life 6 weeks ago

I went for the diesel because of the low running costs and £20 a year tax, though obviously paid out more for the car to start with. I told the dealer i only did 2,500 miles a year and that the car sits in the garage most of the time.

When it came it had no spare wheel, which I hadn't been informed of. yes I know there is an inflation kit but they don't always work and thats no good to me if I am on the M6 with a flat and the kit doesn't work. Plus you need a new tyre AND KIT! once you've use d the kit That was bad enough but then we got a warning notice saying the engine needed checking.

Booked it into the Fiat garage. meanwhile, we put the seats back, and on putting them back found the wouldn't click back in. I was horrified as my kids have been in the back of this car.
The garage said that they could see someone had tried to bend the clasps to make the seats clip back in, so they obviously knew about it.Plus surely a PDI should have shown it up?
Secondly the PDF filter was blocked. The guy said the car needs to be driven long distances regularly
We don't do that. The guy who sold it to us knew this. It sits in the garage 5 days a week
So looks like we have spent all that money on a car that is just going to go faulty all the time. The guy at the garage we took it to said that the seller mis-sold us this car that he should have explained the workings of a diesel vehicle. Plus about the spare wheel

The dealer is ignoring our emails and I cannot sleep. We have spent a lot of money on this car and I just don't know what to do. can anyone help please? Just how much driving is required to keep the filter working? Its no point us driving long distances for the sake of it,. It defeats the object of saving money!
Thanks

As regards the spare that's the norm nowadays with all cars doesn't make it any better for you I know, if it is a slow puncture I think you will find you can bypass the gunk in the pump and just pump it up without which is what I would do. if there is a spare wheel well i would push the dealer to supply a spare and tool kit as would have been an option at time of purchase but in all fairness i think you would need to pay for it. The dpf issue is another issue you should talk to trading standards for advice as if you told the dealer you only do 2.5 k a year the vehicle is not really fit for purpose. It is far from acceptable that the garage fails to respond to you.

As regards the spare that's the norm nowadays with all cars doesn't make it any better for you I know, if it is a slow puncture I think you will find you can bypass the gunk in the pump and just pump it up without which is what I would do. if there is a spare wheel well i would push the dealer to supply a spare and tool kit as would have been an option at time of purchase but in all fairness i think you would need to pay for it. The dpf issue is another issue you should talk to trading standards for advice as if you told the dealer you only do 2.5 k a year the vehicle is not really fit for purpose. It is far from acceptable that the garage fails to respond to you.
Thank you for your reply

I know now it is the norm, but I wasn't told and I have been in situations in the past where only a spare would do (Flat on the way to the airport at 4am to catch a flight for example)

I also found it appalling about the seats. can something not be done about that? If I hadn't known imagine if Id been in an accident and my kids had been in the back?

How do I contact trading standards? Do you have a link or anything please? This is making me very ill . At least if Id been given a petrol one I'd not have had this problem.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply

I know now it is the norm, but I wasn't told and I have been in situations in the past where only a spare would do (Flat on the way to the airport at 4am to catch a flight for example)

I also found it appalling about the seats. can something not be done about that? If I hadn't known imagine if Id been in an accident and my kids had been in the back?

How do I contact trading standards? Do you have a link or anything please? This is making me very ill . At least if Id been given a petrol one I'd not have had this problem.

When i had a look on line it looks like it is done through http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/ but check with your local council as well, the seats should be fixed urgently if they have another car on stock i would be inclined to suggest that they could borrow the parts from it to get you mobile or otherwise loan you a suitable car until it is fixed. If they are being awkward I think your first option is really to arrange a meeting with the dealer principle face to face, forget emails and go into the dealer and request a formal meeting be fair and reasonable and hope that he/she is in return. The dpf situation is difficult as the car isn't actually faulty but after all the recent publicity about it on tv programmes ( i thought it was watchdog but cant find any info on their website) the dealer and salesperson should have been well aware not to sell low mileage short trip users a diesel.

Last edited:
Thank you

The problem with "going in" is the dealership is 50 miles away and we could get there and the people concerned aren't in. My hubby has rung again today and the man concerned isn't in. . The parts for the seats have been ordered by my local fiat garageand should be put in next week and the kids won't be in it until then, but it is keeping the car that is bothering me. i feel I have wasted so much money on a car that's no good to us. Thanks for your help. Please anyone else feel free to post advice also. I feel very isolated atm and could do with as much support as possible :)

Westover FIAT in Salisbury, service department is utterly hopeless and dream up masses of things that they claim need to be done, some without even looking at the car!

Intent on destroying my business relationship with their entire group.

I'd say it's best to avoid the whole "motorparks.co.uk" group - for a full list of dealers, see here "www.motorparks.co.uk":

;) - They screwed my Croma up :rolleyes:

Westover FIAT in Salisbury, service department is utterly hopeless and dream up masses of things that they claim need to be done, some without even looking at the car!

Intent on destroying my business relationship with their entire group.

This raises an interesting question....when does a part need replaced?

Looking at it from the dealers point of view, he wont see you until next year so should advise of any parts (depending on usage) likely needing replaced.

All to often dealerships are accused of saying that parts are needed (and Salisbury500 i'm not saying you) yet owners don't seem to look after their cars and perform routine maintenance like they used to. Also I hear things like 'my car was only serviced 6 months ago'...well yeah and according to the health sheet stuffed in your glovebox you were advised of tyres and brake pads at the time! Dealerships are often in a no win situation, if they tell the customer f issues or forthcoming issues they are accused of money grabbing, if they don't say anything they are accused of being useless.

My advice is be polite and ask them to put the car back on the ramp and show you the problems or soon to be problems:)

I'd say it's best to avoid the whole "motorparks.co.uk" group - for a full list of dealers, see here "www.motorparks.co.uk":

;) - They screwed my Croma up :rolleyes:

Are they quite new to the area/franchise?

The trouble with asking them to take a look is that they immediately put in place a 'diagnostic' and charge for it, regardless of the outcome.
If they would just take a look for nothing - it only takes a few minutes - the loyal customer would take their advice. The new way means the customer just feels that the dealership is fleecing him.
It's a knee jerk. I was told I'd need a diagnostic for faulty parking sensors that the dealership fitted less than a year previously. It was a mistake on their part, but it revealed the mentality.

The trouble with asking them to take a look is that they immediately put in place a 'diagnostic' and charge for it, regardless of the outcome.
If they would just take a look for nothing - it only takes a few minutes - the loyal customer would take their advice. The new way means the customer just feels that the dealership is fleecing him.
It's a knee jerk. I was told I'd need a diagnostic for faulty parking sensors that the dealership fitted less than a year previously. It was a mistake on their part, but it revealed the mentality.

I know lots of dealers that would 'take a quick look' however and this raises another point so thanks for bringing it up, how many dealers 'plug in the diagnostic machine' only for the customer to go elsewhere for the repair.

Ulpian, were you parking sensors aftermarket? If so it's cheaper to just replace all the sensors and module than even charging a hours diagnostic!
However under a year surely means a parts warranty issue?

They've been in Blackburn since 2008, T14086 :(
Previously they were Caledonia, but they don't exist no more.

Back