General fiat coupe handling

Currently reading:
General fiat coupe handling

jolly458

Hey all

Ok, so I have a 16VT fiat coupe which I love, Im hoping someone might have a simple answer for my problem.. Basically the cars handling is not good at all.. the best way to describe it is sloppy... everytime I read about them ppl say how good they are, so does anyone have any ideas?! I recently had the small tracking rods (something like that?!) changed and the tracking done but its still the same.. I have standard 16 wheels with a low profile tyre... so cmon guys, give me some ideas!!!!

thanks very much
Jolly

dave

welcome to the forum :)
tyre presures correct? good make of tyre? wheel bearings ok? all bushes ok? ball joints ok? shocks n springs in good condition? if evey thing like that is ok and its still not right you could fit a strut brace, has it ever been in an acident? if so could be twisted chassy

Hellcat

zombie nation
yeah does not sound right at all. Whats the coupe like for eating steering racks? Could that cause a sloppy feel to the drive?

Also check the wheels are on correctly and the bolts are long enough and tight.

hmallett

Mr Pedantic
Coupes go through wishbones fairly regularly. I wonder if that's what jolly458 is referring to. It's not uncommon for owners to change the wishbones, suspension top mounts, anti-roll bar drop links and one or two other bits all at the same time. It all depends what you're used to I suppose. I don't think the Coupe handles great, but then I can do corners much faster than in the Primera, which feels like it handles better. Perhaps it's just that in the Coupe it feels normal to go round a corner at 70mph, that in the Primera you'd do at 50mph?
Steering racks aren't generaly a problem on Coupes.
H

pinin__prestatyn

smell my cheese
Hello :)

My coupe was much the same when I first took ownership. "best handling fwd car, you must be joking" was the initial impression.
However, After fitting new wishbones, that made I would say the biggest improvement modification I have ever performed. magical :cool: Then I replaced the top mounts, another improvement. Next up came a quality set of boots, I recommend the proxes T1-S/R, not too expensive and excellent in the wet/dry.
As the above said, tyre pressures make all the difference, get them checked and make sure yours conform to what's in the manual. I would advise you but A. I'm not on standard rims and B. I don't have a manual :D
Oh finally, If you haven't done so, fit a strut brace. Tightens the understeer a fair bit.
I took her out on the "roundabout test", a big, quiet roundabout I know of down the road. The coupe usually broke traction at just under 40 before the strut brace, whereas I could zoom round it at 45 no probs after the strut brace and new Tyres.

I know have a coupe that handles very well, and I'm pleased.
It's just a bit hairy in the wet (y)

OP
OP
J

jolly458

Thanks to everyone for your advice, I think its time to put my hand in my wallet (not easy) and get it sorted... I think the strut brace and some new tyres are sound advice... one more question, has anyone bothered to lower there coupe? I had a golf gti before that had adjustable suspension and it made a massive difference to the cornering..
anyway thanks all :)

pinin__prestatyn

smell my cheese
Ah yes I missed that one out :eek:
I had the eibach springs fitted at the same time as the wishbones, I noticed a massive improvement with the wishbones, but the springs may have helped matters as well. Teaming up the springs with some sports shocks would be an excellent mod.