General fiat coupe handling

Currently reading:
General fiat coupe handling

jolly458

Hey all

Ok, so I have a 16VT fiat coupe which I love, Im hoping someone might have a simple answer for my problem.. Basically the cars handling is not good at all.. the best way to describe it is sloppy... everytime I read about them ppl say how good they are, so does anyone have any ideas?! I recently had the small tracking rods (something like that?!) changed and the tracking done but its still the same.. I have standard 16 wheels with a low profile tyre... so cmon guys, give me some ideas!!!!

thanks very much
Jolly

welcome to the forum :)
tyre presures correct? good make of tyre? wheel bearings ok? all bushes ok? ball joints ok? shocks n springs in good condition? if evey thing like that is ok and its still not right you could fit a strut brace, has it ever been in an acident? if so could be twisted chassy

Coupes go through wishbones fairly regularly. I wonder if that's what jolly458 is referring to. It's not uncommon for owners to change the wishbones, suspension top mounts, anti-roll bar drop links and one or two other bits all at the same time. It all depends what you're used to I suppose. I don't think the Coupe handles great, but then I can do corners much faster than in the Primera, which feels like it handles better. Perhaps it's just that in the Coupe it feels normal to go round a corner at 70mph, that in the Primera you'd do at 50mph?
Steering racks aren't generaly a problem on Coupes.
H

Hello :)

My coupe was much the same when I first took ownership. "best handling fwd car, you must be joking" was the initial impression.
However, After fitting new wishbones, that made I would say the biggest improvement modification I have ever performed. magical :cool: Then I replaced the top mounts, another improvement. Next up came a quality set of boots, I recommend the proxes T1-S/R, not too expensive and excellent in the wet/dry.
As the above said, tyre pressures make all the difference, get them checked and make sure yours conform to what's in the manual. I would advise you but A. I'm not on standard rims and B. I don't have a manual :D
Oh finally, If you haven't done so, fit a strut brace. Tightens the understeer a fair bit.
I took her out on the "roundabout test", a big, quiet roundabout I know of down the road. The coupe usually broke traction at just under 40 before the strut brace, whereas I could zoom round it at 45 no probs after the strut brace and new Tyres.

I know have a coupe that handles very well, and I'm pleased.
It's just a bit hairy in the wet (y)

Thanks to everyone for your advice, I think its time to put my hand in my wallet (not easy) and get it sorted... I think the strut brace and some new tyres are sound advice... one more question, has anyone bothered to lower there coupe? I had a golf gti before that had adjustable suspension and it made a massive difference to the cornering..
anyway thanks all :)

Ah yes I missed that one out :eek:
I had the eibach springs fitted at the same time as the wishbones, I noticed a massive improvement with the wishbones, but the springs may have helped matters as well. Teaming up the springs with some sports shocks would be an excellent mod.

Back