Technical Fiat Brava not starting

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat Brava not starting

lumpy96

I have a v reg Brava which has always been a reliable runner. I was off to town pulled up at a junction and it just cut out, no struggling or coughing just dead, have got it back to house, it turns over, cranks moving, sparks to all plugs and as far as i can tell fuel as well. well at least to the quick release point, and that chucks a load out when i turned it over. :bang:the only thing i could say is that it doesnt feel heavy enough when turning over..if that makes any sense. The only other thing was that it was very cold the morning it died .. thanks in advance for your help.

Mr moderator, if i am in the wrong place could you remedy that for me ?

To be honest it sounds like the timing belt has broken, take off the oil filler cap and crank it over to see if you can see the camshaft turning.
What engine is it.?

Its a 1.2 i think, a friend of mine thinks its a timing belt problem to, from what i can gather is thats its turning over quite fast but there is no compression, would that be the case if the timing belt has slipped somehow ?

My 1.4 has done this, it sounds like a large drill motor, so no compression when turning. the first time was after a head change and I did an ECU reset, battery off 45 mins battery on, and it worked, the second time I have yet to bottom out the reason, as it was combined with rounding of cam shaft lobes, and still haven't got it sorted - sorry not much help unless remedy one ECU reset works. Have you tried bump starting it instead of on the key, we did try this also and it did fire - up until the point it threw a rocker!!

Its a banger car so we are a bit rough.:D

Back