General Fiat Brava 1.2 Turbo

Currently reading:
General Fiat Brava 1.2 Turbo

Courty89

when i dicovered this site i found a thread about the cinq with a 1.2 (1242cc) turbo convertion done, now my car which is a Brava 1.2 has the same engine, difference being the brava has a coil pack instead of a distributor, I'm very keen to fit a turbo but not sure if i can, all advice gr8full

since when does a cinq use a distributer?

im a hgv apprentice mechanic so i'm a lil fuzzy on some things about cars so my apologies :D , the reason im keeping the 1.2 is 1. 1.2s that are even a little bit fast are very rare indeed around my way, most cars here are 2.0 or larger. 2. i have 6pts on my licence already and a larger engine will make my insurance unpayerble for me (just under £5000 at the moment on this car!). 3. the thought of giving the starlet turbo a challenge is almost irresistable to me especialy when 1 of my mates has got 1

im a hgv apprentice mechanic so i'm a lil fuzzy on some things about cars so my apologies :D , the reason im keeping the 1.2 is 1. 1.2s that are even a little bit fast are very rare indeed around my way, most cars here are 2.0 or larger. 2. i have 6pts on my licence already and a larger engine will make my insurance unpayerble for me (just under £5000 at the moment on this car!). 3. the thought of giving the starlet turbo a challenge is almost irresistable to me especialy when 1 of my mates has got 1

wait till you phone them for a turbo conversion.
i have a clean licence and full NCD and some companies just put the phone down on me at the mention of a turbo conversion.
an HGT would be cheaper to insure

wait till you phone them for a turbo conversion.
i have a clean licence and full NCD and some companies just put the phone down on me at the mention of a turbo conversion.
an HGT would be cheaper to insure

i was considering an HGT but i just like the thought of a car thats unique (around here anyway)

and time is all im worrying about paying with, not bothered about the price as im going to build a seperate engine so i can still use the car :D

You wont get near a starlet with a 1.2 turbo conversion i'm afraid they are designed from the factory to have a turbo and as a result they are highly tunable.

yup its gona be expensive, cant believe your paying 5K even with 6 pts. You really must have a joke of an insurance company. I'm assuming your over 19 as with 6pts you'd have been banned.

no im 18 just turned, got the points before i got my licence, you have a maximum of 12pts without a licence, the 6pts must be incured within your 1st 2yrs of driving, this confused alot of my friends but thats what i was told by the court

Ahh excellent, driving/speeding on the roads before 17 i take it!?

I would suggest if your paying 5K a year that your insurers might refuse to quote you with any mods etc, never mind performance/engine mods. Take it you rang round every insurers in the book when looking for insurance. At £5K a year by the time you take into account cost of ownership etc you could spend £20 a day at least on Taxi's and still have cash to spare.

I would bide my time, a few years and you'll have the points off your licence and clear of the 3yrs history some insurers ask for (most can be 5yrs). Then you can think about whatever you want, as hopefully you'll have some NCB etc.

However if you do want to turbo it, then the cinq boys know there stuff, not many folks turbo a Bravo/a etc as its cheaper to buy and insure a 1.6/1.8/2.0 and sell the 1.2 than modifying it. If you want a serious street sleeper a 2.0 20v turbo from a coupe can be put in for serious amounts of power etc.

ive gotta ask what you were silly enough ot be doing ot get points pre licence?

well what started as an ugent need to use the car i had at the time got me thinking "I've done it once so I can do it again", stupid I know:bang: , I got around for 7 months on only a provisional licence, I was 17 when I did it and I wasnt speeding or doing any other thing that may cause halm to any third party, I was simply scanned by a T5, found to have no insurance and pulled over, a few months later i was convicted of driving without a licence and driving without insurance, all the points were for no insurance and the full fine was for no insurance aswell ($150+£30 court fee's), suprisingly nothing was even said really about me having only a provisional licence.

no insurance is the one that ramping your policy up.
insurers see that as you being a massive risk to them and price accordingly

yh, it doubled my insurance literaly, oh well whats happened has happened ay, still gona build the 1.2 turbo even if its only in the car for 1 run untill my points are cleared

yh, it doubled my insurance literaly, oh well whats happened has happened ay, still gona build the 1.2 turbo even if its only in the car for 1 run untill my points are cleared

Would I be right in thinking that you are not going to declare the turbo conversion to your insurance company? :)

I wouldnt.

But tbh as said already, I dont think its worth doing the 1.2 turbo. There arent a massive ammount of parts for the 1.2 16v turbo conversion. Infact its probably going to be an all custom build and then I would expect around 120-130hp. I personaly wouldnt want to try and get much more power out of it than that without some serious internal work.

Get a 1.8 and then you can retrofit the novitec barchetta turbo conversion if you really want a turbo (y)

just accept that your mate has the edge with his Starlet shopping trolley, you are in no place to compete financially or logically. Its a non issue.

Trust me, in a few years time when you are driving an Alfa or similar and got promoted a few times, the thought 'what was I thinking' will come to mind.

the thought of giving the starlet turbo a challenge is almost irresistable to me especialy when 1 of my mates has got 1
a starlet GT does 0-60 in less than 7secs, your 1.2 turbo bravo would very be lucky to hit 9 secs. thats hardly a challenge. a bravo hgt can't even keep up with a starlet GT. plus the GT can be easily tuned to get 6secs 0-60, you'd need a bravo with the 20vTurbo from a fiat coupe to keep up with that.

Back