Technical Fiat 850 gearbox issues..

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat 850 gearbox issues..

lukemorrison

Hi Everyone!
Problem is the operator is stuggling to find reverse on a regular basis... sometimes goes right in.. sometimes it is a Pain In The Ass.
Vehicle is.
Fiat 850 1969 (aproxx)
4 speed gearbox
Any ideas?
I am going along the lines of a linkage problem (have quickly checked to no avail.) Now starting to think that maybe the linkage's (fork) inside the gearbox is bent..

Thanks Luke

i believe that the reverse gear in an 850 gearbox is a non-syncro type.
this condition was present in every 850 that i have ever owned (5).

If i don't get reverse on the first attempt, a quick cycle on the clutch pedal and then move into reverse just before the gears stop rotating in the box will get the gear.

First gear can also be pesky. i always moved into first just prior to the car comming to a stop (too soon and the gear grinds, too late and you may be holding up traffic as you make 3 attempts to get into gear)
The clutch cycle also solves this problem.

yes i do find first a little touchy... i assume the syncros are fairly worn.
it will grind a little - i find it quiet audible but it doesnt feel as bad as it sounds it that makes sense. Thanks for the reply

i have since adjusted the shaft and i think it is a little better..

I have a 850 Sedan and I have not had a reverse issue. Going from 2nd to 1st it did grind but I over came this by double clutching.
When starting off in first it never feels like it's in gear as there is no definitive feeling that lets me know it's in, does anyone else have this problem?
Gavin

Back