Technical Fiat 500x 6.5 Uconnect DIY firmware update

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat 500x 6.5 Uconnect DIY firmware update

damomca

Hi,

So after having a service where my dealer told me there was no firmware update for by 6.5 Uconnect (I have really old 15.04.31 version - so obviously a lie), I decided I would look into doing it myself.

I noticed on the renegade forums that some UK users were able to do this, but the difficulty is finding the correct software version for european 500X.

Luckily I found this french forum that has links to the software and steps to update: (if you use the Chrome browser it should automatically translate to English)
http://www.forum-auto.com/marques/fiat/sujet12960.htm

I'm trying the 15.21.32 update now. I'll let you know how it goes.

My version is 16.05.33, so I guess I'll jump to the 17.07.46 and see how it goes. Thanks for sharing!

By the way, when I check my VIN number at the Mopar website, they also tell me there are no updates available for my unit. I don't understand why are they so unwilling to let us update the software.

Hi,

So after having a service where my dealer told me there was no firmware update for by 6.5 Uconnect (I have really old 15.04.31 version - so obviously a lie), I decided I would look into doing it myself.

I noticed on the renegade forums that some UK users were able to do this, but the difficulty is finding the correct software version for european 500X.

Luckily I found this french forum that has links to the software and steps to update: (if you use the Chrome browser it should automatically translate to English)

http://www.forum-auto.com/marques/fiat/sujet12960.htm

Call me old-fashioned if you wish, and I'm as keen to get the most recent firmware updates as the next person, but I would advise a moment's caution. The firmware version shown in the link for version 16 is definitely NOT the same version that inhabits my uConnect 6.5.

The version on the link is 16.05.32 and I BELIEVE that mine is 16.05.47. I have no idea what the difference is, neither do I know if it's important, but I don't think you'll get much sympathy from your local dealer if your uConnect suddenly starts talking to you in French, gets bricked, or worse still, invalidates any warranty you may have left.

Mind you, I always was suspicious and over-cautious

My version is 16.05.33, so I guess I'll jump to the 17.07.46 and see how it goes. Thanks for sharing!

By the way, when I check my VIN number at the Mopar website, they also tell me there are no updates available for my unit. I don't understand why are they so unwilling to let us update the software.

Probably because many people will brick the unit's doing this and fiat want to avoid people coming back to complain

Probably because many people will brick the unit's doing this and fiat want to avoid people coming back to complain

So why aren't they doing it themselves, then? Why are they telling you there's no update for your firmware when actually there is?

My guess the manufacturer isn't passing the information it to fiat or whoever at fiat deals with this isn't then passing it down through the dealer's

giphy.gif

Hi,

Yes, there is different firmware for US market (NAFTA) and European cars (possibly Asia/ Australia is different as well).

I guess check first if you can find the software here (this seems to work for some Jeep Renegade UK owners):
https://www.driveuconnect.com/support/software-update.html

Failing that you can try this at your own risk.

My update from 15.04.31 to 15.21.37 seems to have worked fine, I have the smiley face and uconnect live :)

Not sure how brave I will be with any of the other updates, as this can certainty go wrong.

Last edited:
My update from 15.04.31 to 15.21.37 seems to have worked fine, I have the smiley face and uconnect live :)

My version number is more recent, but I still don't have Uconnect Live. I guess it's not supported in the US.

I currently have software version 18.01.37. Apparently this is the latest iteration currently being shipped.

I've got as far as downloading v 18.01.37 and unzipping it on to my PC. Now waiting for a reply from Fiat, then I may have to make a decision if they don't/won't update it f.o.c.

I'm still contemplating on what's gonna happen if I try one of these updates on my US unit.

I'm still contemplating on what's gonna happen if I try one of these updates on my US unit.

You'd have to find a US site to download it from. By everything I've read an EU download will brick a US unit and vive versa

I have just had a phone call from Fiat CS in Milan with instructions how to update my uConnect unit myself OTA. Needless to say it didn't work. I'm pretty sure it won't work on the 6.5" unit but once again CS seem clueless re uConnect. I didn't even know OTA was an option in the UK. If anybody with a 5" unit wants to try let me know and I'll pass on the instructions.

Has anybody tried the USB update yet? Still getting instructions from Milan that are not apparent in my menu settings for an Over The Air update

I did!

The new 18 version installed fine over my existing 16 version. My destination was about 1 hour trip, so it was ideal to perform the update process that day. Everything went according to plan and the update finished about 35-40 minutes later.

I didn't have time to play with all the menu options, but there was nothing new that I could see. I believe the only noticeable difference, is the boot process, once I start the car and put it in reverse, the reverse camera video comes up faster than before.

Then I went back to the french forum and translated a few more replies, one of them says his battery died the next day. Lo and behold, a few days later my battery also died overnight :) hah, coincidence?....

I should have translated the entire thread before upgrading... :rolleyes:

Back