Technical fiat 500 vs fiat 126 driveshafts length

Currently reading:
Technical fiat 500 vs fiat 126 driveshafts length

gordinir8

Established member
Anyone know what is the length of the 500 axle-shaft? I know 126 is 44cm.
I have to buy new 500 shafts for my 126 gearbox (old ones are worn) Anyway i just reed this is in 500club.uk

{You said you are running a 650 with longer drive shafts, does this mean you have the 126 engine,gearbox and drive shafts. The 126 shafts are the longer ones. If you have the longer 126 shafts fitted into a 500 you need an 18mm spacer to push the bearing housing out to allow for the extra length of the shaft. I think you can get the shafts in 18mm and 22mm for the 500. I take it the plastic/metal seal you are referring to is the clamp that holds the boot in place, I have only used the metal housing for the inner boot.}

My car when i bought it, it had such spacers fitted as you can see in the picture below so maybe it had a 126 gearbox before me i don't know. Probably i will replace the shafts but i am interested to know if this spacer mod can be done so not to replace the shafts.

Attachments

• 20170115_200452.jpg
    20170115_200452.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 407
I have never heard of fitting spacers to allow the fitment/use of 126 drive-shafts in a 500. As far as I was aware, irrelevant of which gearbox you used (500 or 126) you had to use 500 drive shafts--the 25mm variety if you are fitting a 126 box. For the record, a 500 drive-shaft is 42cm long
confused.gif
smile.gif

For the record, a 500 drive-shaft is 42cm long
confused.gif
smile.gif

So 2 cm difference, that explains the 2mm spacer which sounds logical, little beast will be wider at the rear also but ill stick to original configuration.(y)

I know of a couple of people that have done this mod to fit the 126 engine and gearbox as a unit, it saved them stripping the gearbox down to change the drive shafts. I thought they said they used an 18 mm spacer.

Ralph

Last edited:
Is your 500 an R model?
Just wondering if it was a factory modification so they could use the same set up on 500's and 126 models.
The only problem I can see with using the spacer is that the wheel /tyre will be 20mm further out and cause tyre wear on the arch if you don't have the correct clearance.
That driveshaft sure seems well worn on those splines.

No it is an F model, it was widened but the shafts are short 500 so half the spline was out and that is why it is worn! Now I have remove the spacers and works fine but I'm not going to use those shafts on my 650. I really don't know why they had this mod. but I don't think it was factory since the longer bolts where custom made.

Back