Off Topic Fiat 500 revs to 15,000 rpm!

Currently reading:
Off Topic Fiat 500 revs to 15,000 rpm!

This happened in the USA, and interestingly it would appear that the owner's insurance company picked up the tab for this (the car was written off as repair would have exceeded the value of the car).

I'm wondering if this sort of damage would even be covered by a UK comprehensive motor policy?

Last edited:
The gears might be ok if it's got to the clutch that done the damage. Gearboxes tend to be quite tough that way, I wonder if the failure was a fight between engine and gearbox as the clutch came in..

American cars tend to be conventional auto box cars?
That's true in general, but not this one, it would seem.

The original linked article says

"Unfortunately for them, they left the Fiat's five-speed manual transmission in first gear before setting off."

and

"It was so ruined, in fact, that the owners couldn't even disengage the clutch."

Looks like something in the bell housing exploded, clutch /flywheel?
Yes, but can you imagine what went through the crank, pistons, conrods, cam and valvetrain before that went bang?

What's the first gear ratio, 4 to 1?
What's the rolling radius of the tyres, around 72 inches?
So every revolution of the road wheel, 72 inches span the engine 4 times and the cam 8 times and they did that up to 80 mph.

If it just exploded the bell housing, clutch and flywheel, that's one tough little car.

It would be interesting to see a full autopsy, would think the valves would be
tangled with the pistons as a starter for 10.

would think the valves would be
tangled with the pistons as a starter for 10.
Me too.

It wouldn't surprise me if the cambelt was the first thing to let go. After that, the pistons crashing into the valves would lock the engine solid, and the resulting shock load would likely bend or break many components.

I'd expect the whole drivetrain would be good only for scrap.

I would hazard a guess the cambelt went twang or at least stripped it's teeth at the sort of rpm and then the pistons would hit the valves.
Bent crank and conrods probably likely as well.

As for the insurance, filling in the form in the UK would certainly make the lost adjusters day, if not week.

I'm not convinced the engine would have seen the full brunt of it as the fracture is on the bellhousing, torque between the block and gearbox. But they engine would probably be gubbed as I doubt the compression alone would break the bellhousing. One of the rods or piston may be let go before the revs got to the maximum, and seized the engine.

Back