General Fiat 500 Abarth for 2014? Possible changes / facelift?

Currently reading:
General Fiat 500 Abarth for 2014? Possible changes / facelift?

Hello,

Forgot to mention some other candidates:

Renault Twingo RS (if a new one becomes available in 2014)
Facelift 2014 Vauxhall Corsa

Thanks for all the comments. There seems to be a divide in sentiment towards a facelift or not. I am more often than not pro facelift rather than against

New Twingo RS could be interesting if it happens. Rear engined. The RS Clio has not been getting rave reviews so they'd have to get it right

carpeted rear seat back

Easily rectified - and something I plan on doing on mine as the leather seats I have have a few light scuffs in the black paintwork on the rear of the rear seats.

Given that the rest of the boot is well trimmed, it's a bit 'tight' of FIAT not to have trimmed the seats - but I guess it's a way of keeping the car as profitable as possible.

Easily rectified - and something I plan on doing on mine as the leather seats I have have a few light scuffs in the black paintwork on the rear of the rear seats.

Given that the rest of the boot is well trimmed, it's a bit 'tight' of FIAT not to have trimmed the seats - but I guess it's a way of keeping the car as profitable as possible.

Definitely on my list as well. If there were any on ebay (like the carpet mats) already to fit, (just add spray glue) I would buy them like a shot.

Maybe someone might be missing an opportunity here.

It's not tight it's retro! I'd rather see more painted metal on the interior (like UP!) vs some of that nasty plastic.

There's an article on Autocar where they spoke to some bloke at Fiat and it seems they're only going to be changing the interior and in car technology in the future and keeping the exterior design.

It's not tight it's retro! I'd rather see more painted metal on the interior (like UP!) vs some of that nasty plastic.

Where it makes sense - the black paint isn't very functional in the load bay of a car, just scratches off and looks shabby. I agree about the paint on the door surrounds, etc, but that's not going to be damaged in normal use!

There's an article on Autocar where they spoke to some bloke at Fiat and it seems they're only going to be changing the interior and in car technology in the future and keeping the exterior design.

Makes sense. The car is unashamedly retro, but with a nice modern twist.

The MINI is getting somewhat too 'twee' now, it was pushing it when the original R50 came out, but compare it to the F56 MINI and the 'old' one looks just about acceptable!

I wouldn't say it will be long though - a new mini is on the way which should prompt other manufacturers to keep up. Having said that it won't be today or tomorrow.

I thought a new version of the mini came out every month, it certainly feels like that. still waiting for the pickup but that has to be soon as they are running out of variations. The original Mini pickup was a cracker, I guess based on the current Mini it will be nearly as big as a Transit tipper.

Perhaps with the next model they will realise they are to big to be Mini & rebadge it the Maxi, has historic relevance after all

I thought a new version of the mini came out every month, it certainly feels like that. still waiting for the pickup but that has to be soon as they are running out of variations. The original Mini pickup was a cracker, I guess based on the current Mini it will be nearly as big as a Transit tipper.

Perhaps with the next model they will realise they are to big to be Mini & rebadge it the Maxi, has historic relevance after all
You ever seen an old 500 next to a new one?

You just want to have what appears to be the newest car our there don't you....

No not really. I just don't want a car to be outdated moments shortly after purchase. If I were assured that the current derivative was not to change for a considerable amount of time in the foreseeable future, our purchase would be confirmed.

No not really. I just don't want a car to be outdated moments shortly after purchase. If I were assured that the current derivative was not to change for a considerable amount of time in the foreseeable future, our purchase would be confirmed.

Makes sense to me. I'm looking at buying the current S but before parting with lots of cash it's sensible to see what's coming down the line so you can buy at the start of a new line up and not the end of an old one, undoubtedly will affect potential resale value if you were to trade in after a few years. Of course the car will be 2 years old in 2 years and there will always be a new model on the way but good timing can be prudent.

Last edited:

Why would any dealer or car maker want to assure you of that? They're interested in shifting metal. Telling people that the new one is on the way at a particular time is a good way of causing everyone to behave like you and wait for the 'latest'. Just buy the car you like and enjoy it, it's going to get old anyway.

If you change cars every 2-3 years, it doesn't matter..

We're unlikely to be in the market for an Abarth, we haven't even got our 1.2 Pop yet (hopefully only a week or two away now), but when it comes time to replace/upgrade that, it would be cool if the new models had suicide doors and the option of a fabric sunroof. I expect there might be problems keeping the 5 star NCAP rating with the doors, but a nice simple folding roof that retains the rear visibility and loading practicality of the hatch shouldn't be a problem should it???

Last edited:
According to my dealer, the Fiat plant in Tychy is the only one working 3 shifts around the clock. That’s good, but in the current economical climate they have to sell the cars at up to 20% discount from list price (in Germany). So they’re moving metal, but profits are down. Not a good time to invest in new tooling perhaps.

I’ve also read that Fiat plans to move the Mexican assembly line to Poland in, or for model year, 2016 to Poland, for all 500s worldwide.

This is just hearsay, of course.

The tooling would stay much the same, these days a facelift merely involves a change of bumpers and light clusters.

There's supposed to be a 'all new' 500 for 2016. It will get the NAFTA 'upgrades' for sure (I'd like 'cruise' but the NAFTA cars are a lot heavier). It will probably look to the current 500 as the new-New Mini looks to the old New Mini, not much different but not quite as together.

Let's face it, everytime a retro car has been 'MKII'd", it's lost it's styling purity.

I think the 500 is the oldest volume car you can currently buy excluding the ancient Defender , and it's mechanical base is a 2003 model. Can't go on forever.

As far as coming facelifts, I think the 'S' model will be it for major changes to the current model.

Back