Technical Fiat 500 1.3 Multijet - Starting Issues and Running Issues

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat 500 1.3 Multijet - Starting Issues and Running Issues

kellow469

Hello everyone, I have a 2009 Fiat 500 1.3 Multijet. The car is extremely hard to start but starts easier without the fuel rail pressure sensor plugged in. I have replaced the injector seals and the fuel rail pressure sensor but the problem still persists. I’ve tried EGR cleaner which didn’t help at all, I took the solenoid off the EGR (which did have a spec of dirt on it or inside) to check the plunger thing and that moves freely. The wastegate arm moves freely when using a vacuum pump on the boost hose. I’ve checked the fuel filter for glunk or dirt but it is clean. I’ve also put the intake under pressure from the air box to see if there’s any leaks, I can hear a small leak but I can’t see it being big enough to cause this problem. All fuses are okay too.

Once I get the car running it will not rev above 2000rpm but it idles okay. The only code I get an error for is the sensor (obviously when I start the car by unplugging it) and a code for the particular filter being clogged. I tried to do a regen via multiecuscan but where the car cannot rev past 2000rpm it doesn’t regen. Is there something I’m missing? I’ve checked the fuel lines to ensure they’re tight but I’m running out of ideas. Any help would be appreciated.

Hello everyone, I have a 2009 Fiat 500 1.3 Multijet. The car is extremely hard to start but starts easier without the fuel rail pressure sensor plugged in. I have replaced the injector seals and the fuel rail pressure sensor but the problem still persists. I’ve tried EGR cleaner which didn’t help at all, I took the solenoid off the EGR (which did have a spec of dirt on it or inside) to check the plunger thing and that moves freely. The wastegate arm moves freely when using a vacuum pump on the boost hose. I’ve checked the fuel filter for glunk or dirt but it is clean. I’ve also put the intake under pressure from the air box to see if there’s any leaks, I can hear a small leak but I can’t see it being big enough to cause this problem. All fuses are okay too.

Once I get the car running it will not rev above 2000rpm but it idles okay. The only code I get an error for is the sensor (obviously when I start the car by unplugging it) and a code for the particular filter being clogged. I tried to do a regen via multiecuscan but where the car cannot rev past 2000rpm it doesn’t regen. Is there something I’m missing? I’ve checked the fuel lines to ensure they’re tight but I’m running out of ideas. Any help would be appreciated.
Any chance DPF is so blocked it is causing the issue.
Is it possible to undo exhaust before DPF slightly to allow exhaust gas pressure to escape to see if it will start easier as a test.
It may put up an error message but you can delete that afterwards.
Another guide to this would be when engine running get someone to try and rev it whilst you listen to the tail pipe of exhaust to see if it struggling to let gas out, sort of whistling if you know what I mean.
Let us know.:)

If there's enough compression, diesels will set light to anything... so my guess is there's not enough of the "anything".

Have you checked the high pressure fuel pump has all of its Mojo? If you have a seond-hand injector handy, plug it in and see whether and how much fuel it delivers into a small, fully recyclable and made from sustainable materials container, (or a milk bottle).

I'm not sure what the precise volume is that should be delivered, but if you get a dribble rather than a squirt, you'll know it's not right.

Ralf S.

Hello, thanks for your reply :) I’ve removed the Dpf and it was pretty much blocked! I’ve removed some but I’m going to get some cleaner tomorrow and let it soak. There was pieces of catalytic converter in there! Do you think I need to attempt to remove the cat aswell?😬

Hello, thanks for your reply :) I’ve removed the Dpf and it was pretty much blocked! I’ve removed some but I’m going to get some cleaner tomorrow and let it soak. There was pieces of catalytic converter in there! Do you think I need to attempt to remove the cat aswell?😬
Have you tried starting it without DPF to see if starting improved now unblocked?
I wouldn't attempt to "open it " to make it free flowing as if you have the pipes measuring pressure before and after the DPF the ECU will give error messages.It is possible to break bits of the ceramic core so don't get too violent.;)
Once it is all done you will need to tell the ECU that it has a "new DPF" so it can reset codes etc.
I ran a Citroen 2012 C3 1.6 Diesel and it revved quite freely without it to test, prior to fitting a new DPF, I had cleaned the original two years before using commercial bleach and oven cleaner and a high powered steam cleaner, however it has now done in excess of 229K miles so due for renewal.;)

Last edited:
Have you tried starting it without DPF to see if starting improved now unblocked?
I wouldn't attempt to "open it " to make it free flowing as if you have the pipes measuring pressure before and after the DPF the ECU will give error messages.It is possible to break bits of the ceramic core so don't get too violent.;)
Once it is all done you will need to tell the ECU that it has a "new DPF" so it can reset codes etc.
I ran a Citroen 2012 C3 1.6 Diesel and it revved quite freely without it to test, prior to fitting a new DPF, I had cleaned the original two years before using commercial bleach and oven cleaner and a high powered steam cleaner, however it has now done in excess of 229K miles so due for renewal.;)
Not yet but I’m going to give that a shot later on. I’m going to grab some DPF cleaner and try to clean it out because it was quite bad! I’m worried about the honeycomb looking pieces that was before the DPF which obviously came from the catalytic. Could the cat be blocked also? It looks a pain to take off😩

Not yet but I’m going to give that a shot later on. I’m going to grab some DPF cleaner and try to clean it out because it was quite bad! I’m worried about the honeycomb looking pieces that was before the DPF which obviously came from the catalytic. Could the cat be blocked also? It looks a pain to take off😩
If it starts easy without DPF, then fingers crossed re cat.
The Citroen though newer was a more simple design, just a couple of clamps and one of the pressure sensor pipes, the new one was only a £140 odd with certificate etc.
Main problem is manufacturers designing a emission system for cars that people use mainly around town for short journeys but only "self cleans" when used on much longer journeys. Something they do not tell the buyers in the showroom!

Back