Technical Fiat 500 1.2 Pop Spark Plugs

Currently reading:
Technical Fiat 500 1.2 Pop Spark Plugs

Looking at fitting plugs to my 500 because at 13k since the last service, they're well past their best and the car is quite hesitant to pull away sometimes.

IXU22 or VXU22? Also, jrkitching, did you use spark plug lead pliers when you changed your plugs?

Hoping to service the 500 for the first time out of warranty this weekend or the one after that.

It's good to see this thread being revived. :)

In relation to the choice of Denso iridium or NGK iridium my preference is Denso but that was in relation to the 1.4 with the Densos giving the most noticeable difference.

I also would have a preference for the standard gap of 1.0 as opposed to the iridium standard of 0.8mm but you would have to question the risk in widening the gap given the delicate nature.

The IXU22 does not last as long as the DCPR7EIX but the 'tough' VXU22 does and despite the price hike it might be worthwhile fitting in the 1.4 but would question the value for money in a 1.2

On balance in a 1.2 I would opt for the NGK Iridium since they're very reasonably priced whilst I would opt for Densos in a 1.4 but would find it hard to justify the price of the VX unless you were paying someone to fit them.

On balance in a 1.2 I would opt for the NGK Iridium since they're very reasonably priced whilst I would opt for Densos in a 1.4 but would find it hard to justify the price of the VX unless you were paying someone to fit them.
yeahthat.gif

I wouldn't risk changing the gap on a precious metal plug unless you know exactly what you are doing. Even checking the gap is not without risk. If the tip subsequently breaks in service you will be first on the forum to have a 1.2 8V FIRE with an interference engine :eek:.

I haven't done a thorough search, but to give you all some idea of comparative prices, here are some current ebay listings & links including UK postage:

NGK ZKR7A-10 £13.99 (these are the OEM plugs; how much do franchised dealers charge to fit a set? that much :eek:)
NGK DCPR7EIX £26.10
Denso IXU22 £42.92
Denso VXU22 £60.32

All prices are for a set of 4.
Feel free to improve on these if you can.

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I wouldn't risk changing the gap on a precious metal plug unless you know exactly what you are doing. Even checking the gap is not without risk. If the tip subsequently breaks in service you will be first on the forum to have a 1.2 8V FIRE with an interference engine :eek:.
:yeahthat:

Hence why I wouldn't recommend for anyone to change the gap themselves...

Did a little checking on the site below - at least the VX hasn't gone up any more in price compared with the last time I checked...

http://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/
£28.75 DCPR7EIX
£39.31 IXU22
£58.66 VXU22
£7.95 for P&P (varies possibly cheaper in the UK)

Ordered some of the NGK's off amazon for a bit 26.something with 1-2 day delivery. No point buying the VXU's or the IXU's when the NGK's are that cheap. Bought some spark plug lead pliers too :p

All said and done, for the price you pay, the copper NGK's are not too bad either...... But I have to say my 500 is bloody sluggish at low RPM's and I want to get rid of that!

The NGK Iridiums should last twice as long & more importantly don't go soft after 4-5000 miles in the way the copper plugs do. They've cured the occasional spluttering on cold starting.

It'll be interesting to hear what you think once you've fitted them. The NGK's just need angle tightening through 180 degrees.

Last edited:
Well, they will be an improvement for sure. Maybe after 13k miles I will pop the old copper NGK's in and see how they feel.

Well, they will be an improvement for sure. Maybe after 13k miles I will pop the old copper NGK's in and see how they feel.

A better test would be to pop in a new standard copper set with the extended tip (unique only for the 1.2) and note any changes in mpg and preceived differences in start up, etc.

The NGK Iridiums should last twice as long & more importantly don't go soft after 4-5000 miles in the way the copper plugs do. They've cured the occasional spluttering on cold starting.

I would be disappointed if the iridiums didn't last 3 times as long but accept that the IXs would only be twice as long. NGKs and the tough Densos claim 100K miles (60K miles).

No point buying the VXU's or the IXU's when the NGK's are that cheap.

If you check the claims made by NGK & Denso on iridiums over standard plugs Denso are the only ones to mention a figure of 'up to 5%'. Looking at the write up on the Denso Iridium tough they made changes in 2011 which might explain the hike in prices about 2 years ago. If I had a 1.4 NA I would be tempted to buy the tough iridiums (the VX are not available for the A500 or the 155TB).

I would be interested to know if anyone with a 1.2 has had any mpg improvements with either of the Iridium plugs over the optimised extended standard copper plug. I would guess that on the 1.4 there would be improvements since the iridium 'equivalent' plug is a direct replacement to the OEM. On the turbo charged MiTo I wasn't able to detect a performance improvement with the Denso Iridiums over the standard fit NGK iridium plugs. Reckon (no hard evidence) that the mpg improved by around 1-2 mpg but that was against standard fit NGK iridium plugs that had done 20K. The gap was 0.8mm for both the manufacturer's spec and the supplied plug.

Came across this and I thought it was an interesting read. Was left with the impression that Copper was better and if I had a 1.2 I would keep with the standard plug :eek: and change it more regularly e.g. at half the recommended service interval i.e. at 9K miles as opposed to the 18K miles. On a turbo charged or LPG engine the iridium would be justified because of the higher temperatures. The only other justification for iridium (in a NA) is to save on labour costs opting for 'long life' plugs (preferring iridium over platinum).

A better test would be to pop in a new standard copper set with the extended tip (unique only for the 1.2) and note any changes in mpg and preceived differences in start up, etc.

Yes, but I'm not buying a new set of copper plugs just to see what happens :)

I won't really be able to give a proper indication of MPG improvement as the winter tyres are going on the 500 this weekend so I can wear them out before next winter :) I'm getting 50 or so mpg at the moment so I think with a new air filter, skinny tyres, new oil and iridium plugs I should be getting 60 or so. If jrkitching says there's an improvement then that's enough for me :)

Yes, but I'm not buying a new set of copper plugs just to see what happens :)

I won't really be able to give a proper indication of MPG improvement as the winter tyres are going on the 500 this weekend so I can wear them out before next winter :) I'm getting 50 or so mpg at the moment so I think with a new air filter, skinny tyres, new oil and iridium plugs I should be getting 60 or so. If jrkitching says there's an improvement then that's enough for me :)

Had to read back on the thread since it's nearly a year old !

Lady Kitching did report 70mpg in an earlier post with JR reporting a 61.5mpg in post #70 . So I should properly take my last post back :eek: and not cancel your Amazon order. They are not many eco milers like JR around but you may have to use a lighter oil than standard to beat him at the fuel stakes.:devil:
Would you not consider fitting some decent eco tyres on your steelies as opposed to worn winter tyres ?

Fitted them today. Car feels so much smoother now. Trip was at 52.8mpg when I left home, by the time I got to the main road it was 52.2 (it's only done 50 miles or so this tank so far) and after a 4 mile round trip. Normally it probably wouldn't have gotten back up at all so there is definitely an increase in economy.

Was going to do my oil today but it's started spitting and it's a bit chilly so I'll leave it till tomorrow. Did the air filter which wasn't hugely dirty but it's silly not to do it.

Nice oily watery emulsion around the throttle body some photos of the plugs that came out, the first one looked good, the second and third ones had quite a bit of oil on the threads and the 4th one (closest to the battery) was a bit sticky which I suspect is down to perhaps having a little bit of the oily emulsion from the throttle body mixed with some throttle body cleaner going down in there from when I cleaned it last time.

Attachments

• WP_20130413_002.jpg
    WP_20130413_002.jpg
    481.2 KB · Views: 86
  • WP_20130413_006.jpg
    WP_20130413_006.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 106
  • WP_20130413_007.jpg
    WP_20130413_007.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 89
Fitted them today. Car feels so much smoother now. Trip was at 52.8mpg when I left home, by the time I got to the main road it was 52.2 (it's only done 50 miles or so this tank so far) and after a 4 mile round trip. Normally it probably wouldn't have gotten back up at all so there is definitely an increase in economy

Told you so!

Sounds like a good job well done.

Looking closely at those plug pics, the first one shows a thoroughly knackered plug, the centre electrode has lost all of its square edge, and thus a much higher current is required to fire it, and the spark won't be anywhere near as 'crisp'.

But it's always satisfying to change plugs - you don't notice them degrading slowly over time, and the change when you fit new is often quite marked.

Looking closely at those plug pics, the first one shows a thoroughly knackered plug, the centre electrode has lost all of its square edge, and thus a much higher current is required to fire it, and the spark won't be anywhere near as 'crisp'.

But it's always satisfying to change plugs - you don't notice them degrading slowly over time, and the change when you fit new is often quite marked.
Yeah, the car actually isn't starting all that well at the moment, I really should get the battery changed over! Need to buy myself one of those Ctek chargers and get that Bosch I bought topped up and in the 500!

Yeah, the car actually isn't starting all that well at the moment, I really should get the battery changed over! Need to buy myself one of those Ctek chargers and get that Bosch I bought topped up and in the 500!

Highly recommended, revived a thoroughly dead battery on the Audi project car I bought recently, the battery had been on the car since October last year, doing nothing. It's as good as new now and holds charge really well.

MXS 7 and 10 and above has the 'recond' function that de-sulphates the plates in the battery with a controlled blast of 15.7v..

Told you so!

Sounds like a good job well done.

I never doubted you ;)

Slightly off topic, which Ctek chargers do people use? I'm looking at the MXS 5.0? Would there be any conceivable need to buy anything more? I hope not to be using it a whole lot, but the battery in the Subaru is absolutely knackered, but only a couple of years old so needs a good charge from a good charger!

http://www.ctekchargers.co.uk/ctek-mxs5.0.php

5 is listed as having the recondition function also. I'm guessing that would be the minimum I would need then.

Indeedy. I was getting mixed up with the 'supply' mode. I bought the 10, as it has a handy 10A supply mode, which is useful when wanting to run 12v things in the garage or home, and also excellent for when you're coding ECUs and do not want the battery voltage to drop!

Amazon were selling the MXS 10 for £100, it looks like they've put the price up recently - I figured it's worth spending a tad more for something that'll serve me well for even the biggest batteries in the future. I wasn't disappointed, it works really well and feels like a high quality item; I plan to run the 500's battery through a full charge/condition at some point.

Back