Tuning Fiat 127

Currently reading:
Tuning Fiat 127

Cam ShaftsaLot

Looking for advice on tuning and generally improving performance and running. It's got the original 903cc in it but as far as I'm aware there have been no modifications to it apart from a recent skimming of the head. Anything I can do on a fairly low budget?

Hi, not trying to be facetious, but you will need to spend money to improve performance.

Cheapest bang for buck would be shedding weight- this costs nothing!
Handling can be improved by possibly lowering/stiffening the car.
Exhaust can be restrictive. If you are handy with hacksaw and welder, get rid of as mufflers as you (and neighbours) can live with.
Cold air intake for carb.
Tune the engine, there could be gains to be made to restore lost horsepower (carb shaft leaks, cam not timed properly, good spark plugs, distributor advance etc)
Check that the wheels are aligned.
Check the brakes are not binding (don't have the handbrake adjusted too tight).

After that, I think the costs will increase with cams, carbs, compression, headers etc. On my 850 I changed out the carb and camshaft as a first step.

Cheers.

Thanks I will give this a go, I have had the exhaust off at various points but most mufflers have proven to loud to be viable..

Do you know of a good way to lower the back as it works on a leaf spring so I can't just hack the springs up?

Also know anywhere that I could find carbs and camshafts and various parts for it?

Thanks!*

Thanks I will give this a go, I have had the exhaust off at various points but most mufflers have proven to loud to be viable..

Do you know of a good way to lower the back as it works on a leaf spring so I can't just hack the springs up?

Also know anywhere that I could find carbs and camshafts and various parts for it?

Thanks!*

Hi, and welcome,:)

parts, look in the busier sections of FF, that share the same engine..:cool:

classic panda is a busy place,;)(y)

Charlie - Oxford

Need some more help on her, after getting the head skimmed new gasket in head back on, everything reconnected, she won't start, she turns over, there is compression, there is a weak spark on the plugs, new plugs and leads, have ordered new points and condenser but she still won't fire up!! I'm pretty sure the timing is done correctly
I have it at 10 TDC in cylinder one compression stage and firing on cylinder one!!

Does anybody have any idea what else could be wrong???

Need some more help on her, after getting the head skimmed new gasket in head back on, everything reconnected, she won't start, she turns over, there is compression, there is a weak spark on the plugs, new plugs and leads, have ordered new points and condenser but she still won't fire up!! I'm pretty sure the timing is done correctly
I have it at 10 TDC in cylinder one compression stage and firing on cylinder one!!

Does anybody have any idea what else could be wrong???

IF you#re sill struggling,
USE SEARCH,
panda classic,
and TECH sections wouldbe favourite,
Charlie

I've had the engine in and out of mine various times and I always end up getting the timing 180 degrees out so could try moving the plug leads on the dizzy round two spaces.

As for power I would just chuck in a 1050 engine.Mine runs a 1050 with a sport head and carb.

If you have had the distributor out then it could be timed up wrong. It is easy to get it one notch out as the rotor arm turns when meshing with the drive. As said, it is also possible to get it 180 degrees out. As for tuning, the 903 engine revs nicely and can be tuned but parts are becoming more scarce. 1050 engines are getting harder to find as well. I would suggest looking at the Classic Panda engines as suggested. A 1000cc FIRE engine can be made to go pretty fast with only minor mods. Parts from the Punto can also be used.

Got it going finally! It's running well with the choke on but as soon as you drop the choke the idle is really rough and when cold slowly cuts out... Could this be it missing? Also the join between the exhaust manifold and the down pipe is blowing and I'm not sure what to do, I've exhaust cemented it up and the clamp is on correctly...

Got it going finally! It's running well with the choke on but as soon as you drop the choke the idle is really rough and when cold slowly cuts out... Could this be it missing? Also the join between the exhaust manifold and the down pipe is blowing and I'm not sure what to do, I've exhaust cemented it up and the clamp is on correctly...

if it "idles" at less that 1200 with a hint of choke, then is seems mechanically sound..,

the exhaust leak isn't ideal.. could effect idling to a point,

suspect carb set-up though:eek: weber..??

Also, does anyone know how you change the mixture in the Weber 32IBA22, is it just the amount of petrol in the float bowl?

Is that the 903cc? I don't work on carb numbers....

I know where it is on the 1049cc engine - there's an idle screw and a mixture screw. It's easier with the manual in front of you & the air cleaner housing out of the way - one of them is almost impossible to see with it in place. You can work it out from the pic in the manual if you get the right photo.

I suspect you mean the 903cc, which I'd need to look up in the manuals (been a few years since my last 903cc 127 went, and not had to tweak the mk1 Panda's so far!!).

Pete has a 1049cc engine too, running with Sport bits. (y)

Back