Technical fiat 126 engine swap

Currently reading:
Technical fiat 126 engine swap

Vspec95

Any one have any idea what engine will fit in a fiat 126 like would a turbo toyota mr2 motor fit in it any ideas what will fit ?

To most common choice is putting Fiat engine (899, 1108, 1,2) in 126. Of course you can swap every engine into 126 chassis if you have enough skills and/or money, but there's a few problems:
- weight of engine- 126 is not good balanced car, and if you put there big, heavy engine on the back of the car, it will be worst
- gearbox -126 gearbox was made to work with 24 hp engine, not much more

There's quite a lot 126p with swaped engines in Poland. I recommend you this forum: http://www.motonews.pl/forum/?op=fvf&c=0&f=25

hi there folks, just wondering on the 126 engine conversion.
i am 3/4 of the way through a trike using 126 engine and gear box set up.
then i heard about possibly using a chiquacento engine. the 899 or 903cc. now can any one tell if this is a straight fit 126 gear gox spine input shaft to engine/clutch what about starter motor, and do the gear box bell house line up with engine cases.. many thanks for any assistance that might be forth coming.:worship:
sorry if this had double posted, i had to take a picture off

Hello everyone and thanks for letting me in.
We have a 126 and are quite far down the road in an engine swap. I had a 2332cc T1 VW aircooled engine sitting in the corner of the garage and decided it would fit nicely in the 126. The engine actually has more room around it than it would in a Beetle. The gearbox is also a Beetle IRS item and we are currently working on extra mounts for the gearbox as it is not solid as it needs to be considering the engine has about 200hp in current trim. This engine would cost 3000+ pounds and the car should run 12s in the 1/4 mile as a road car (which is about as quick as Lambos etc). Of course, you don't need that much power and can pick up modified beetle engines making 100+hp for 1000pounds. If you don't want that then a vw waterboxer in standard trim makes 90hp for the 1.9 and 110hp for the 2.1. There are lots of them about and can be had second hand for anything from free to 150pounds. There is also the Subaru turbo boxer engine, which is a similar size and makes more power. Can also be fitted to a Beetle gearbox

that will definately need a youtube moment when its done. i'm doing a trike. would of loved the vw, but the box and engines now are way too dear.(also have a t2 bus).(y)

hi there folks, just wondering on the 126 engine conversion.
i am 3/4 of the way through a trike using 126 engine and gear box set up.
then i heard about possibly using a chiquacento engine. the 899 or 903cc. now can any one tell if this is a straight fit 126 gear gox spine input shaft to engine/clutch what about starter motor, and do the gear box bell house line up with engine cases.. many thanks for any assistance that might be forth coming.:worship:
sorry if this had double posted, i had to take a picture off

Pretty sure the Cinq 900cc engines turn the wrong way.

well for now, i have taken the advice of some owners. IE give the little engine a chance. as it might just surprize me. but i would dearly love to know as the fiat chink engines are fairly plentifull and parts will be cheaper than the bis. LOL.

Hi, I am new to the forum. I have a Fiat Grande Punto and have recently bought a Fiat 126 BIS. I am doing some minor cosmetic mods like slightly lowering it, New wheels and clubman bucket seats but want a bigger engine! I have seen the yamaha R1 conversions but they look really difficult due to the need of a differential for UK roads. Is there anything bigger that won't be impossible to go in? :bang: would like a turbo engine... ;)
Cheers. :slayer:

Welcome to the forum! I also have a BIS, and due to it having such a tiny engine bay, you cannot put a bigger engine in without a lot of work and fabrication! Trust me, it isn't worth it!!

If you're wanting to do an engine swap I'd recommend selling the BIS and keeping an eye out for an aircooled one that someone has started a conversion on and given up as it's too much work.
gadge will tell you more.

Dom

Yes I totally agree with dom here the bis engine bay is tiny and as far as I'm aware there isn't a more powerful bike engine that can physically fit on its side in that wee space. As Dom suggested the air cooled one enjoys a lot more space due to the upright design of its air cooled motor but belive me when I say many have tried and many have failed and threw in the towel taking yet another 126 to its grave :(

You'ld have better luck turboing the bis lump but be weary its a fragile engine

Last edited:
Is there anyway on cutting side walls and cut a bigger whole for a bigger engine? i would go with a bike engine but don't know how i would get around it as you need a diff for uk roads! :( completely stripped the car and restoring it as some guy couldn't finish it! will leave back seats out, want to put roll cage, moonlight wheels etc. already upgraded shocks and lowered it.
Thanks for you reply! :) https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=819512828102364&set=pcb.819513161435664&type=1&theater

Last edited:
It's the height that's the problem really. Cutting the area out of where the back seats are can be done but the you'll be taking a whole lot of strength out of the rear so you'll need to make it rigid again. Then there's the rear suspension mounts. They sit right below the rear bulk head/seat area and will have to be dealt with somehow as you'll never be able to cut round them and expect them to hold the rear arms in place if you do cut the bulk head out.

The design of the 126 with its engine behind the rear wheels makes it very hard to custom fit any other engine into it. Basically the engine either fits where the original one was or it goes where the back seats were. You'll also need to sort out how to transmit the power if a bike engine is to be used. You'll need more than just a diff, you'll also need a reverse too so ideally adapting your bike engine to an existing gearbox is best which is more work. Which leads me back to the original point of fitting it in the back where the original engine was which isn't feasible as there's no room for a bike engine.

In short it's a very hard challenge which usually ends in failure :(

Showing my age here, but, back in the day, there were a number of conversions carried out on Fiat 500's. I have seen a Reliant engine fitted, even a Chevy engine but that took a lot of modification. I believe that it was Hot Car magazine did a conversion using Beetle Pistons and barrels in the 500 engine though IIRC there didn't seem a lot of power gain for the money.
There used to be a web site "moneus.se/john/fiat_abarth" but I can't find it anymore. There might be some useful info here

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fiat-126-Tuning/358298344234121

Back