General Fault Code Reader (Petrol)

Currently reading:
General Fault Code Reader (Petrol)

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Got it today :D only had 1 fault code U1600 which means ignition key not reconised Ithink so I've deleted it but shouldn't affect the car anyway.

Like Muki said it doesn't read all fault codes because I should have a gearbox fault stored and it couldn't read that, but a good piece of kit anyway.

fault code reader????

hey. can anyone help! where can i buy a fault code reader that would be compatible for my1.6 dynamic???? also do i need a specific fiat one and is it just a case of plugging it in to the diagnostics terminal to get the code then find out what that code relates to?

Re: fault code reader????

hey. can anyone help! where can i buy a fault code reader that would be compatible for my1.6 dynamic???? also do i need a specific fiat one and is it just a case of plugging it in to the diagnostics terminal to get the code then find out what that code relates to?

Hi matey. Have a look at www.talktomycar.co.uk as they've got a good selection of code readers. I got my U581 reader from there and it works a treat with my Abarth (y)

Fault code reader

hi

second post woohooo!

I've searched and found a few posts on this subject but doesnt quite have the right answer

Anyone know of a fault code reader that will work on Fiat/Citreon/Vauxhall and maybe ford?

As a minimum be suitable for Fiat and Citreon, are these two non-compatible software codes?

Any suggestions for either PC based or handheld scanner that can do this? Budget sort of price range.

Depends on the model year of the car you are wanting to talk to, read up on EOBD to get a general idea. But USB wise I recommend the ELM327.

The ELM327 can talk to loads of older cars if configured correctly. Ive had it working on some older fiats and a 97 ford ka. But pre2001 it is a little hit and miss wether or not the support is there.

Other than that you are talkingt those expensive garage jobbies - im sure someone will add something about these.

But the ELM327 is pretty good, supports VPW, PWM, ISO 9141-2, ISO14230-4 (KWP2000) and various types of CAN.

If you buy it from gendan (about £37), they use latest v1.3 chipset, the cheaper versions on ebay tend to be v1.0a which isnt as good, not as fast and tend to be shoddily built.

For more info look on something like scantool.net for the full compatibility list of vehicles, if you search on here for ELM327 you will see many threads about fiats and diagnostics for that side of it.

Dan

also on the elm, it might not work on any diesels made before 2003,

cars didnt have to be complient till 2001 for petrol and 2003 for diesel.

and the french cars anyway left it till last minute before being compatible, e.g. my mums 2001 306 petrol on a Y plate is not compatible, nor was my 2002 renault laguna DCi

But, works on my stilo a treat :D

Depends on the model year of the car you are wanting to talk to, read up on EOBD to get a general idea. But USB wise I recommend the ELM327.

The ELM327 can talk to loads of older cars if configured correctly. Ive had it working on some older fiats and a 97 ford ka. But pre2001 it is a little hit and miss wether or not the support is there.

Other than that you are talkingt those expensive garage jobbies - im sure someone will add something about these.

But the ELM327 is pretty good, supports VPW, PWM, ISO 9141-2, ISO14230-4 (KWP2000) and various types of CAN.

If you buy it from gendan (about £37), they use latest v1.3 chipset, the cheaper versions on ebay tend to be v1.0a which isnt as good, not as fast and tend to be shoddily built.

For more info look on something like scantool.net for the full compatibility list of vehicles, if you search on here for ELM327 you will see many threads about fiats and diagnostics for that side of it.

Dan

Took your advice and opted for a 1.3 USB gendan tool for £80

see how it goes!

Thanks

Took your advice and opted for a 1.3 USB gendan tool for £80

see how it goes!

Thanks

I take it you have bought it with the Enginecheck software, if you look on their site it mentions some pre EOBD cars that they have had working, such as 98- Ford Ka etc. They even do vauxcheck etc for vauxhalls/GM cars.

Their ELM interfaces are much better than the rubbish that is for sale on ebay, very similar in design but have the improved version of the ELM IC and also have more flexibility with CAN. So you should be able to connect to the newer generation of cars where CAN is a requirement for diagnostics.

Also, if you want to talk to the non EOBD compliant cars, get the ELM datasheet from their site, it lists the commands so you can use Hyperterminal to get down and dirty to get results where enginecheck digimoto etc wouldnt.

Good luck!

Dan

Last edited:
Will an U380 OBD2 scantool read airbag failure related codes? Or is it engine management only?

I've got two issues (as found by a Bosch computer, which also was capable of deleting the faults) that come up every time. The OCS is ****ed, I know that, but there was another airbag aswell, which I can't remember now. I'd like the code reader to tell me where the fault is, so I can go directly to that cable and connectors.

Morten.

Will an U380 OBD2 scantool read airbag failure related codes? Or is it engine management only?

I've got two issues (as found by a Bosch computer, which also was capable of deleting the faults) that come up every time. The OCS is ****ed, I know that, but there was another airbag aswell, which I can't remember now. I'd like the code reader to tell me where the fault is, so I can go directly to that cable and connectors.

Morten.

Yes they are just for engine fault codes unfortunately. I managed to read mine using a free program called KWP71diag and a home built serial cable. I dont personally know of anything cheap that talks to airbags.

Dan

Last edited:
I have read about the KWP71 earlier, and that it can be used on Lafas... eh Alfas to communicate to both ABS and airbag ECU. But I doubt it works on the Stilo.

M.

You might want to try it then as it does work:D as I have tried it. Join the unidiag yahoo group lots of people have had success with the stilo and KWP71diag as the airbag system in the stilo uses the older KWP81 protocol.

I think you can use a USB vagcom KKL cable (or alfadiag cable as they are known) / or a simple level shifter circuit. I used the latter. The software is buggy bit does the job.

Dan

Last edited:
See below ;-

--- In UniDiag@yahoogroups .com, "Chris Karidian" <karidian63@ ...> wrote:
>
> Now my question. Is it possible to diagnose my stilo with unidiag to
> see if it is realy the sensor matte or other things which make my
> airbag light blinking. And of course can i reset the failure with
> unidiag. If yes, what do i need on hardware ... i already own an

Yes for the Stilo it is possible to use my software for diagnostics.
As the airbag still uses an older protocol, you have to use kwp71diag.
Then select kwp81 and ECUaddress 0x00.

> USBtoODB2 interface
> http://www.obd- shop.com/ danila/product_ details.php? id=90&lang= de
>

If you can put this interface in 'transit mode' or something like
that, there is a possibility to make it work. You then have to connect
the k-line to pin 3.

> If this isnt compatible with my Stilo please could anyone be so kind
> and give me the right direction what/where to by to fix my issues.

I have some interfaces available myself, that are already adapted to
also connect to e.g. the Airbag and ABS ECU's. So sent me an email if
your interface does not work.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards, Sander.

google >>> fiat ecu scan for soft
buy a vag kkl (15 euro or elm327 v 1.3+ 50 euro or so)
works great:D

Back