Technical Fan starting up when cold

Currently reading:
Technical Fan starting up when cold

gsc1ugs

Have a 2012 scudo van the fan has started to come on when van is cold, waters good, no over heating, any ideas please?

It doesn't have aircon - bottom pipe on radiator is warm after a run but top pipe is still cold could it be thermostat but if rad is still cold why is it coming on?>?

It doesn't have aircon - bottom pipe on radiator is warm after a run but top pipe is still cold could it be thermostat but if rad is still cold why is it coming on?>?
Sensor or wiring fault?
In the old days a test would be to pull the fan sensor plug off on the radiator to test, but theses days everything seems to be run through CAN BUS and ECU.
Any error lights/codes showing?
You are happy van isn't overheating, I have known cars with not enough antifreeze boiling because coolant cannot circulate due to ice in system.

Coolant fine no over heating, this has only just started just im flummoxed, so not a thermostat problem? I popped top pipe off rad and its full of coolant with antifreeze red

Coolant fine no over heating, this has only just started just im flummoxed, so not a thermostat problem? I popped top pipe off rad and its full of coolant with antifreeze red
Generally if thermostat jammed shut vehicle would overheat fairly quickly even with the cold weather if water isn't circulating.
I am sure your antifreeze is fine , but I always measure the strength and have at least 50% when testing before every Winter.
I don't know if a sticking fan relay could cause your problem, though I would expect that to cause it to carry on even with ignition off, unless a signal wire to the relay from the ECU could cause it.
I know what you mean about the thermostat , especially with feeling the bottom hose starting to get warm but not the top, though if it is extremely cold and just a short / local journey it is possible not opening due just to weather.
If you can locate the sensor that triggers the fan it may be possible to test it and replace if not functioning correctly.
Maybe someone else on the forum has come across the same issue.

Ive just done 15 mile round trip no over heating and not getting hot just warm, it also seems its in limp mode too but no codes for that just a P0245 code think its about the turbo

Ive just done 15 mile round trip no over heating and not getting hot just warm, it also seems its in limp mode too but no codes for that just a P0245 code think its about the turbo
Not one I have come across , but I see it can refer to a wiring issue.
After that run did the heater work well and temp gauge read as normal, roughly in the middle range, maybe a little lower due to the weather?
With your code reader were you able to delete the code and come out of limp mode?
I can't use fiat multiscan program due to my operating system , but it seems to provide a lot more in depth information of car electrics for Fiats.

Everything ok no limp mode detected on scanner just something with turbo P0245

Yes its a snap on proper gear heres some codes deletes then they come back
28805508-6949-433D-878F-7E7876C9BA4D.jpeg

Attachments

• F15B7799-EBC4-4767-A5D0-2FC8F0782F39.jpeg
    F15B7799-EBC4-4767-A5D0-2FC8F0782F39.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 40
  • E598C4B9-109F-4264-8283-1C69E0435D20.jpeg
    E598C4B9-109F-4264-8283-1C69E0435D20.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 30
  • D4BF2176-D94A-4D28-9503-BCF621F19CA9.jpeg
    D4BF2176-D94A-4D28-9503-BCF621F19CA9.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 33
Similar to Peugeot Expert and possibly Citroen C3 1.6 also then.
Do you know what the state of the DPF system is , Additive levels , whether it is pumping /working correctly to administer the additive , is the DPF possible partially blocked etc.
The reason I am going in this direction is I bought a 2012 C3 picasso 1.6 , it was chucking out loads of white smoke and not revving properly (only paid £300 ;)) I removed and cleaned the DPF using bleach , strong oven cleaner and a commercial steam cleaner, got loads of brown muck out, used my mates Snap On Zeus to tell it it had a new DPF and sorted the problem, though it did mention DPF fluid (Eloys) getting low so I later refilled that and used same tool to confirm. Car runs clean and like a "horse with it's ears back" at 220 K miles;)

The tank was empty, i put particulate fluid in put it back, the pipes are fool proof because they only go in one place, resetting doesn’t clear code 🤷‍♂️

The tank was empty, i put particulate fluid in put it back, the pipes are fool proof because they only go in one place, resetting doesn’t clear code 🤷‍♂️
Did you use the Snap On tool to bleed the system, I had to do it a couple of times. There was a proper sequence on the Citroen to do it using the Snap On. Were you able to ask the Snap On Tool how full the DPF was?

No not sure how do that, its a good scanner modus ultra
I am old school , trained as an apprentice in 1969, I am retired, so it was all a learning curve for me.;)
If you search on the internet there is uTube videos on using Snap On to do these things.
Assuming it is like my Citroen which had a bag before the N/S/R wheel with pipes and a electric pump that I refilled the bag, then had to run the Snap On program to bleed the new fluid to get all air out or it will not work.
Even with it working if you never do long journeys it doesn't work properly anyway, typical manufacturer selling vehicles unsuitable for the job they most do, stop start around town. Something in the past diesels were ideal for!

I panicked when you said bag!!! I have refilled a bag before and that was a citroen,

1. I rang fiat, it goes direct into tank which i did
2. I only refilled the tank because it was empty but before than ran perfect, no fan issue and no lag 🤷‍♂️

I panicked when you said bag!!! I have refilled a bag before and that was a citroen,

1. I rang fiat, it goes direct into tank which i did
2. I only refilled the tank because it was empty but before than ran perfect, no fan issue and no lag 🤷‍♂️
:). They do seem to vary.
So does yours fill using Adblue not Eloys Fluid? But in a separate reservoir at the diesel flap area?
I have a 2010 Doblo Maxi van that doesn't even have a DPF as standard.
Do Fiat say it would need bleeding if run empty? Is yours something like this? (not a Scudo)
1671194923590.png

What happens if your car runs out of AdBlue? If you run out of AdBlue while you're driving, then the engine's power and performance will be reduced to 'limp home' mode to limit its emissions and once the engine has stopped, it won't re-start until the AdBlue tank is refilled.

No its not like that, like Citroen a pain, you have to drop tank and refill unless there is another way

I’ll dig around on snapon see if anything but still the question remains, was no issue with fan or turbo when it was empty

Just found this.
Yes, that's the Eolys tank, and yes, they need to be replenished about 70-80,000 miles depending on how the car is used. They're peculiar to PSA vehicles (or vehicles that use PSA-derived engines). The Scudo is actually a Peugeot Expert. Unlike AdBlue, Eolys isn't essential to maintain emissions performance. It just helps the particulate filter (DPF) to regenerate periodically. Tinky amounts are mixed in with the fuel by a small pump. If you disturb them, you need to prime the line again - which is likely to need a Peugeot / Fiat / Citroen dealer to put it into a special mode to run the Eolys pump. Unfortunately, Eolys is eye-wateringly expensive!

Back