Technical Fan Potentiometer replacment

Currently reading:
Technical Fan Potentiometer replacment

maniacbravo

Hey guys,

first post on these forums, joined as I now have owned a Fiat Bravo for 4 days now, first car :) I am quite used to forums so its just a matter of time until I get used to this one.

So I have this problem, the fan isn't working on speeds 1,2 and 3 but works on number 4 at full speed, I have asked several technicians and was told that its the fan potentiometer. I managed to get my hands on a used one but faced hell when trying to install it, I took apart the whole centre console only to find the piece that holds the knobs is impossible to take out without removing the whole dashboard, which is out beyond my skills. Anybody has some tips or a nice guide to follow?

Edit: Don't know if this forum allows double posts so I'll just use the edit button, found this guide https://www.fiatforum.com/bravo-brava-marea-guides/267597-dettach-main-facia-fiat-brava-1-6-16v.html, you can clearly see what I'm talking about in the last picture....

Last edited:
Erm, there is no petentiometer, just switch assebly that switches power via resistors. The fault of only 4 working means only the speed which bypasses the resistors works.

The resistors burning out isnt uncommon, take the glovebox off and and you should see the resistorpack about 10cm from the blower motor attached with two screws to the airchannel (air cools the resistors).

Google "fiat brava blower resistor" and you should get loads of images about it.

Auto-aircon has potentiometer like switch, but I assume your car has normal heater.

Welcome to the forum! Yeah its the resistor under the dashboard on the passenger side. You don't have to take anything off the dash to get to it just stick your head in the foot well and look up. The resistor has two screws holding it in and its next to the cabin fan, connector might be black not green.

Thanks to m20b25 here are some very useful pictures

Attachments

• Image1154.jpg
    Image1154.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Image1153.jpg
    Image1153.jpg
    857.1 KB · Views: 42
  • Image1129.jpg
    Image1129.jpg
    599.3 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Thanks guys, I found that green oval looking thing against the wall of the engine bay, it looks like thats the one, I'm still not convinced thats the problem, and that resistor being located awefully close to the airbag thingy I am actually scared of touching it, I'll ask the mechanic about it as I'm taking it for a service next monday :)

Here's a pic of my babe :p

Fiat25_zps4a393539.jpg

Ok guys, I asked a couple of people and the resistor seems to be the problem, does anyone know the part number? I found a couple on ebay but I'm not sure if I am allowed to link ebay links here...

Back