Technical Fan heater only works at certain times and never works on 4

Currently reading:
Technical Fan heater only works at certain times and never works on 4

alexfagg46

Hi,
I have a 2007 Fiat Grande Punto and the fan blower system rarely works and will not work on 4 when the other 3 settings work. The car is without AC
Can anyone advise me on what I need to do and even when the fan works it’s very low power. Works at certain times so seems like could be loose connection but can someone tell me where this might be as I don’t know where these wires would be

Thank you

Also, are there meant to be backlights on the fan system as on mine there isn’t any lights working on it if so

Agreed with above.....resistor, fan unit itself and heater wiring looms are three main problem areas. Look at them in that order as that is the cheapest and easiest order to do them.

Have a look up in the passenger foot well at the resistor pack, it's more likely a bad connection on the plug,as this carries a high current the plug heats up can cause a high resistance contact, if the plug looks brown due to heat the only cure is to cut it off and replace with a new one .

Hi,
I have a 2007 Fiat Grande Punto and the fan blower system rarely works and will not work on 4 when the other 3 settings work. The car is without AC
Can anyone advise me on what I need to do and even when the fan works it’s very low power. Works at certain times so seems like could be loose connection but can someone tell me where this might be as I don’t know where these wires would be

Thank you

Hi.
See FAQ and guides .. all at top of gp section.
Charlie

Hi I have searched all these but none seem to be the same, mine works usually in the morning when cold but is very weak and then will stop randomly

Have a look up in the passenger foot well at the resistor pack, it's more likely a bad connection on the plug,as this carries a high current the plug heats up can cause a high resistance contact, if the plug looks brown due to heat the only cure is to cut it off and replace with a new one .

Can you tell me how I would identify and check this as really I don’t have a clue. Thank you all for the advice also

If the resistor is gone you will only have fan on 4, not on the other speeds so NOT the resistor, Most likely the wiring. bad/burned connection. Take out the fan motor as well and check it is turning freely.

If the resistor is gone you will only have fan on 4, not on the other speeds so NOT the resistor, Most likely the wiring. bad/burned connection. Take out the fan motor as well and check it is turning freely.

Ok thanks how would I go about taking the fan motor out and checking it?

Found out what it was, just where my car hadn’t been used the fan had got stuck in the motor, quick bash of the motor got it working again.
Thank you all for your help

I beg to differ!
I recently bought a 2010 Punto Evo with the same problem. Removed fan and tested with a 12v supply; fan worked fine, so I bought a replacement resistor from a popular online auction site for £10 and fixed the problem. You can also buy a repair kit from the same place, comprising resistor, socket (or is it a plug?) and wiring for around 30 quid.

What do you beg to differ about? the OP said the fan was NOT WORKING on 4, That leads me to believe it's NOT the resistor at fault. If the resistor is faulty the ONLY speed that works is 4. Yours was more than likely the wiring and/or plug in connectors which also fail.

Back