Technical Extreme rattle from engine

Currently reading:
Technical Extreme rattle from engine

W Bakker

Hey all, my car started producing an extremely loud rattle last week. I can't figure out where it is coming from. Let alone what the damn noise is! The car still runs fine. Probably not perfect since it was one of the cheapest running one's available at the time. Any ideas?

Remove the fan belt, start the engine to see if the noise goes away but do not run it for too long like that as you will have no cooling.

Remove the fan belt, start the engine to see if the noise goes away but do not run it for too long like that as you will have no cooling.
Just tried this. The noise is still there. I do however feel like it is coming from the fan housing. Is it possible that there's a piece of fan that broke off and is vibrating around in there?

Check the thermostat flap too. Mine came unbolted from the rod and was vibrating against the block. Was afraid it was the fan, but was still there with the belt off. If it were in the fan housing, it should've stopped when you pulled the belt... the fan isn't moving then, so there's nothing to really move parts around.

It sounds a little like a hole in the muffler but it's really hard to tell with that recording. Does it coincide with RPM changes or is it steady regardless of RPM? Does it change with speed?

Check the thermostat flap too. Mine came unbolted from the rod and was vibrating against the block. Was afraid it was the fan, but was still there with the belt off. If it were in the fan housing, it should've stopped when you pulled the belt... the fan isn't moving then, so there's nothing to really move parts around.

It sounds a little like a hole in the muffler but it's really hard to tell with that recording. Does it coincide with RPM changes or is it steady regardless of RPM? Does it change with speed?
It does change when the rpm's go up. However, not directly like clattering valves or other internal problems do. I'll check the thermostat flap saturday since i'm not at home tomorrow. I'll keep you all updated!

You are dealing with a 50+ year old engine there that may have clocked up many miles so the fan and as JumpJet says the thermostat flap are particularly vulnerable which is why you can buy rebuild kits for the thermostat housing but if the fan has failed then you may have to replace it. My money is on the fan as they seem to fail more often especially on a tuned engine. Some people fit a fan that has been reinforced with welding and you can also get solid cast alloy fans. I have had a fan let go at high revs and a couple of the vanes pierced the steel fan housing. The fan belt increases the engine revs by 50% so if you get up to 6,000rpm the alternator and fan are doing a massive 9,000rpm.

You are dealing with a 50+ year old engine there that may have clocked up many miles so the fan and as JumpJet says the thermostat flap are particularly vulnerable which is why you can buy rebuild kits for the thermostat housing but if the fan has failed then you may have to replace it. My money is on the fan as they seem to fail more often especially on a tuned engine. Some people fit a fan that has been reinforced with welding and you can also get solid cast alloy fans. I have had a fan let go at high revs and a couple of the vanes pierced the steel fan housing. The fan belt increases the engine revs by 50% so if you get up to 6,000rpm the alternator and fan are doing a massive 9,000rpm.
That does not sound like an exhaust blow to me.There is a plate situated under the top fan-cover that holds the 2 main sections of the fan housing together. It is not unknown for the fitment lugs of this plate (which is welded to one main cover and bolted to the other cover) to break off and the plate then vibrate. As has been already suggested, the thermostat could also be the source of the rattle, although the rattle sound to 'strong' to be the thermostat plate rattling.

The tone of that sounds too deep for a loose thermostat flap in my opinion. When mine came loose it sounded a lot tinnier, like rattling teaspoons!

Does this have an engine mount with a spring in it?
Yes, it does. I'll take a look at the spring first thing tomorrow. If it is in good condition I'll remove the thermostat housing and the top of the fan housing to inspect for any damaged or loose parts. Thanks!

Mine has the same problem, and it's definitely the fan. My question is...how do I get the rear cowling off? I've removed all of the bolts and nuts, and the three bolts on the engine, yet it refuses to move. Any ideas?

Mine has the same problem, and it's definitely the fan. My question is...how do I get the rear cowling off? I've removed all of the bolts and nuts, and the three bolts on the engine, yet it refuses to move. Any ideas?
Have you removed the 2 bolts on the FRONT cover that hold the plate that holds the two halves of the fan shrouding together.There is also a small (6mm thread, 10mm spanner)on the very bottom of the shroud---difficult to see unless you look from underneath the engine

Have you removed the 2 bolts on the FRONT cover that hold the plate that holds the two halves of the fan shrouding together.There is also a small (6mm thread, 10mm spanner)on the very bottom of the shroud---difficult to see unless you look from underneath the engine
Hmm...I'll check for the two on the front cover and the small 10mm on the very bottom of the shroud, but I think I got that one. I'll let you know what I find and thanks much for the reply! Cheers!

Hmm...I'll check for the two on the front cover and the small 10mm on the very bottom of the shroud, but I think I got that one. I'll let you know what I find and thanks much for the reply! Cheers!
Hobbler....you're a life saver. It was the two bolts on the front. Now if I can just bend it out of there...seems hung up on something. Also, a 9mm spanner dropped out of the shroud when it opened up. Gee...you think that was the issue? The previous owner left me a present. ugh. Cheers!

Hobbler....you're a life saver. It was the two bolts on the front. Now if I can just bend it out of there...seems hung up on something. Also, a 9mm spanner dropped out of the shroud when it opened up. Gee...you think that was the issue? The previous owner left me a present. ugh. Cheers!
Now that you have the rear shroud off, check the fan blades for any damage; if there IS damage, there is a fair chance that was rhe cause--the spanner moved (due to car/engine movement) to a point that it was catching the blades. If there is NO damage, you will have to look a bit further

Now that you have the rear shroud off, check the fan blades for any damage; if there IS damage, there is a fair chance that was rhe cause--the spanner moved (due to car/engine movement) to a point that it was catching the blades. If there is NO damage, you will have to look a bit further
Will do. Have a new one-piece aluminium fan to replace it with. So far, no more rattle....and I have a new 9mm spanner. Thanks again!

Well, It's been a while. I decided to wait for a new clutch and timing chain to get everything done at once. It was my first time ever pulling an engine and let's just say it took a while ;)

After disasembling the tinware covering the fan I finally figured out the noise. It was a bearing on the back of the alternator! (Video below)

I ordered everything I need an will be replacing it soon and spend tonight replacing the timing chain and having a few beers. I feel like I've earned them today!

Attachments

• 20230916_184821.mp4
    30.3 MB
Back