General Exhaust

Currently reading:
General Exhaust

Markstrachan

Hi
Took my 1995 Punto 1.6 90 to a garage today to get the front flexy pipe done, The monkeys snapped 2 bolts at the manifold end. They say that they will need it for a day to get the bolts out but might crack the manifold in the proccess.

Is it realistic to expect the garage to foot the bill for a new manifold if this happens.

Your thoughts would be helpful before I go Balistic at them

Cheers

Last edited:
uno_94 said:
id stay away from that garage (y)
Helpful as always uno :p Yeah they are liable if they have created damage that wasn't there before. I am sure they either replace it or fix it free of charge. If they refuse to then threaten to take them to trading standards, they will back down soon enough (y)

thanks darkcircuituk, your advice was most helpful. I decided to research it more and looked up the trading standards website. Here is what I have found which relates to my predicament.

Quote Trading Standards Leaflet A68 08/02

"Vehicle servicing and repair are obvious areas where disputes can occur between the vehicle owner and the garage. When you take your vehicle to a garage for servicing or repair, you are entitled, under the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982, to expect the garage to carry out the work:

With reasonable care and skill (the standard of skill of an average garage)
In a reasonable time (unless a specific time was agreed)
At a reasonable cost (unless a price was agreed"

"The vehicle was damaged at the garage
The garage has a general duty of care to look after your vehicle while it is in their possession, therefore if the vehicle is damaged at the garage, the cost of any repairs will be the garage's liability."

Link : http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/cgi-bin/calitem.cgi?file=ADV0046-1011.txt

Back