Technical Exhaust manifold heat shield

Currently reading:
Technical Exhaust manifold heat shield

I did look at fully replacing the heat shield when ours split.

I think most B shield failures are cracks/splits in the upper part of the shield? Certainly in our case.

When I went to remove the shield the two top M4?/M6? studs/bolts sheared off. The larger bottom bolts were fine. The loss of the top mounts was a pain and would require drilling and tapping.

After examination I came up with an alternative solution. I cut the heat shield in half horizontally below the upper splits/cracks to have just the lower half of the shield that protects bottom radiator hose. I then used large penny washer and extra aluminium to beef up the lower mounting holes in the shield.

No more rattles or creaking and the truncated shield is doing a perfect job in protecting the lower hose etc.

Even with a full shield the heat is still dissipated under the bonnet with most of the hot air leaking out of the top sides of the shield so no issues here either.

I also looked at exhaust manifold / turbo jackets/blankets and wrap but these looked more challenging to do a neat and easy installation compared to what I did.

When I was under the car yesterday I noticed there was also some cracking around the bottom bolt. You are right that the main heat issue is the bottom hose, as that runs very close to the shield…. I’ll take it off when winter sets in, and have a proper look…at the moment there Is a decent weather forecast….so I’ll do some driving ?

Back