Evaporative emission control/ charcoal cannister

Currently reading:
Evaporative emission control/ charcoal cannister

Not sure quite where to put this question as it covers a number of Fiats.

Most fuel injected Fiats have a charcoal cannister along with a series of solenoids/ pipes between the fuel tank and the inlet side of the engine. This is to recycle petrol vapour and stop it from getting into the atomosphere.

Basically what I want to know is this. Will the ECU from a Punto 75 SX (mk1, 1996) run with the solenoids disconnected from the evaporative emission system? The reason I'm asking is that I am hoping to transplant an MPI Punto engine into my 1986 mk1 Uno. Being a 1986 carburetor model it doesn't have much in the way of emission control and by law is not legally required to either. As it doesn't have any emission stuff fitted it will be a pain in the butt to have to transplant all the Punto emission stuff into the Uno when it doesn't need it.

Also, some of the early injected mk2 Unos (of which I will be fitting an i.e. fuel tank into my car to take the Punto fuel pump) just vent to atmosphere anyway, so I might not even have all the take offs for the emission pipes.

But will the ECU throw a wobby if the solenoids are disconnected? Or will it run happily without them?

Hopefully someone will know!

conflicting reports here..

i had an engine mount collapse, as the engine fell forward it took the charcoal cansiter and ripped the wires out of the solenoid. this meant even after i'd tied the engine onto my strut brace with a tow rope - the ECU warning light was on, and wouldnt let me rev very highly. Once i repaired the wires, it was fine.

However, i'm sure on petes turbo cinq - he'd pulled the canister, and it ran fine with no warning lights at all.

So it might've just been my car wasnt keen on having the engine ejected at 95mph (i know i certainly wasn't too chuffed about it!)

either way, don't loose sleep over it. If it turns out you do need one, let me know and i've got a spare solenoid. As long as it has summit connected, the ECU will be none the wiser.

Cheers for that Arc (y) I have the whole EVAP system if necessary as I have a complete Punto 75SX that I will be pulling the engine and injection system from. As my Uno is exempt from those emission requirements it would be nice not to clutter under the bonnet with anything that isn't necessary hence wanting to junk the system.

I spoke to Damon (Panda Sport) about this and he suggested the same, just leave the solenoids connected up to keep the ECU happy. It would be nice to junk the solenoids as well if possible.

Which Pete turbo Cinq are we talking about? Apologies if I should know him :eek: Could do with asking him about whether the whole system can be junked.

EDIT: Having the engine eject itself doesn't sound fun :eek:

Back