Eurovision...... Won by a whisker

Currently reading:
Eurovision...... Won by a whisker

I don't watch Eurovision. Never have. We should pull out IMO as every year we seem to end up at the bottom although I hear Molly (who :confused:) did quite well at 17th. So I what did I find when I turned the news on this morning? Eurovision 2014 was won by a bearded lady from Austria ....... A BEARDED LADY

good luck next year team GB

Last edited:
I also avoid like the plague, it should be renamed the Eurovision weirdness contest. Complete waste of licence fee payers money. In these days of mega cutbacks that would be a fair few £'s the BBC could save.

The excuse that is put forward for the UK's continued involvement is that if the BBC pull out the E.S.C. would not be economic to put on - Good job I say, let it die.

Its all kicking off now anyway, Georgia's vote has been disallowed and most of the western European countries are accusing the eastern European countries of bigotry and racism, i think we should stop attending this joke of a contest.. we have nothing to prove in the world of music anyway.

And what is also a joke is the BBC's double standards...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Clarkson-wasnt-fired-actually-saying-it.html

An old dj plays a record from the 1930s which contains the N word - he is sacked.
Clarkson says the N word - not sacked.
Russel Brand leaves a series of lewd mesages on Andrew sachs' answer phone - not sacked.
BBC hosts videos from various rap stars - all contain the N word.

I'm not really a fan but always seem to end up watching it..

Watched it last night and thought it was one of the poorest years (musically) I can remember. The only song I liked from a musical point of view was Finland. Everything else, including our own, was pretty dire. Couldn't not like Poland though ;)

We have so much musical talent in this country yet we always seem to put forward tripe that no one would buy if it was released into the charts. No offence to Molly, I'm sure she's a good singer and entertainer but that song was very poor. Poorly produced and very flat throughout. Could have been a lot better with a bit of effort.

I'm sure there are loads of signed bands that haven't quite made the mainstream that would jump at the chance to perform on Eurovision. I know we give it a bad rap in the UK but there isn't many other events that would give an artist or band so much exposure.. Why do we always enter rubbish when, as I say, I'm sure there are loads of decent acts with decent songs lining up to give it a go...

It also came to light on another forum that the voting in the UK (and the majority of countries) is almost totally rigged. Considering it is shown as a public vote in the UK, there is also a panel of judges that vote and the UK public vote only counts for one judge.

Last night, the UK public voted Poland as their number 1 (no surprises there :D), yet, the didn't receive a single point from the UK voting.

I think it should be all public voting or not at all. (n)

I agree that public voting is the way forward however it wouldn't have made any difference to us last night as we were the only country that couldn't vote through the official Eurovision phone app.

I don't watch Eurovision. Never have. We should pull out IMO as every year we seem to end up at the bottom although I hear Molly (who :confused:) did quite well at 17th. So I what did I find when I turned the news on this morning? Eurovision 2014 was won by a bearded lady from Austria ....... A BEARDED LADY

good luck next year team GB

The idea is to not win, if you win you end up having to pay to host it the following year, we don't want to do that.

Come on, it was one of the best Eurovisions ever. Everyone I've spoken to loved it, and we all agree that there were more fabulous fun songs than usual. My lot had a party, as usual, and it was a total hoot. Denmark did a great job of hosting it too, very camp and cynical.

What's not to love about Eurovision?
More fun than Christmas, that's for sure :)

You sound like a caravan club outing, relax and enjoy .... ;)

You do know it has nothing to do with music, don't you!

Last edited:
You sound like a caravan club outing, relax and enjoy .... ;)

You do know it has nothing to do with music, don't you!

I'd rather drive a Fiat 126 from Lands End to John O'Groats towing a caravan that sit through Eurovision (at least then the 50mph average speed would be justified). ;)

Of course it has nothing to do with music. The same as the Premier League has nothing to do with football.

Back