Technical Error Code P0500

Currently reading:
Technical Error Code P0500

Hello,

I'm only posting this cause yesterday I hooked up my car to my laptop yesterday, to do a diagnostic just a random check up to make sure the car was okay and it came up with the error P0500 which is Vehicle Speed Sensor Malfunction. However, it did say it's not detected now so I cleared the error it did say the warning lamp was not activated for this fault.

I have left the car 24 hours and did a rescan and nothing, and I did my little research and it's something to do with Speedo problem but nothing wrong with my Speedo I don't see any problems with the car, so it must be an old error and they never cleared it or didn't know about it. It was just a invalid signal from the sensor.

So I thought I'd post and see what people think about it :)

Thanks! (y)

probably a blip
or car might have been bump started and ignition turned on as they let clutch up
youve done the right thing, made a note, cleared the code and then rechecked
just like a proper pro:D

probably a blip
or car might have been bump started and ignition turned on as they let clutch up
youve done the right thing, made a note, cleared the code and then rechecked
just like a proper pro:D

I have bump started the car a few times when my starter motor died on me, but I always put the ignition on first not as soon as the clutch is up. So I'm going to put my guess on the table and say previous owner :devil:

I was expecting a lot more from my car, seeing as I run my cars into the ground :D

Thanks for replying, I can now put my mind at rest.

The mk2b's had an issue with the wiring for the speedo sensor which was corrected with an adaptor loom, but if yours is the '00 model in your sig, then it won't be affected.

Sometimes it's just the terminals being a little too loose on the sensor pins or water ingress causing corrosion. Probably worthwhile just popping the connector off and checking for peace of mind.

;)

every had the power-steering light on?
As Non abs versions need the speedo sensor to be working for it todo the correct amount of work

I had the error code too - it never reappeared, it could one of those things the speedo been slow to react or just a blip in the signal once

Tbh if the code aint reappearing, like me - dont worry about it :)
(mind you my connections were twist and taped up..... nasty)

Ziggy

every had the power-steering light on?
As Non abs versions need the speedo sensor to be working for it todo the correct amount of work

I had the error code too - it never reappeared, it could one of those things the speedo been slow to react or just a blip in the signal once

Tbh if the code aint reappearing, like me - dont worry about it :)
(mind you my connections were twist and taped up..... nasty)

Ziggy

Never had the Power Steering light on, don't think the bulb is in there or it's blown besides I don't care about that bulb you soon know when the Power Steering goes on a Punto :D I'm just thinking it was a little blip ECU detected it stored and no one bothered to clear it or didn't know about it until the other day :)

I will do a scan say what once a month, good regular checks is a key to a healthy car - trying my hardest to not kill this car unlike my old car ha ran that into the ground 26 faults on MOT my mouth fell to the ground still can't find my mouth anywhere :rolleyes:

Never had the Power Steering light on, don't think the bulb is in there or it's blown besides I don't care about that bulb you soon know when the Power Steering goes on a Punto :D I'm just thinking it was a little blip ECU detected it stored and no one bothered to clear it or didn't know about it until the other day :)

I will do a scan say what once a month, good regular checks is a key to a healthy car - trying my hardest to not kill this car unlike my old car ha ran that into the ground 26 faults on MOT my mouth fell to the ground still can't find my mouth anywhere :rolleyes:

PMSL! Yea a scan now and then can help catch problems
if your there keep checking sensor readings and voltages, see if a lamba drops you'll know sooner :)

Ziggy

PMSL! Yea a scan now and then can help catch problems
if your there keep checking sensor readings and voltages, see if a lamba drops you'll know sooner :)

Ziggy

Yeah might opt in for the registered version soon kind of annoying the 20 minute window not really practical... :devil:

While we are on the subject of scans everytime I hook it up I get "Invalid ISO Code" I have a Punto MK2 2000 so which one is that from the list?.

I just want this car to get through next years mot, so far so good on its health :)

Back