Punto (Mk2/2b) Engine won't start

Currently reading:
Punto (Mk2/2b) Engine won't start

Rather the reverse -- I think the HG probably went because it overheated. If you didn't skim the head, chances are that, at best, it's dirty (mating surfaces need to be spotless) or warped.

Head gaskets seldom decide "that's enough, I quit!", they almost always are a symptom, rather than a cause.

Remove the plugs, try and turn the engine over. Remove the alternator belt, try turning the engine over. Get back.

Any water will not be in the pistons, but in what engineers and mechanics call the "bores".

Yes, rods can be bent if an engine goes hydraulic. It's much more likely if the engine is running at the time.

It's good practice to turn an engine which has just been rebuilt (or has not been started for some time) over on the starter motor with the plugs out until the oil pressure light goes out.

If it doesn't turn over with the plugs out, do remove the alternator belt. Alternators can seize solid as said and prevent the engine turning over.

If it is the alternator that has locked the engine. Is it as simple as a new alternator to fix it?

Sometimes when alternators lock up ..teeth on timing belt can shred,
If alternator is FUBAR..don't bother trying to free it up like some people do,s
Buy one from low mile scrapped pun to if costs need to be kept reasonable..

As long as the timing is OK, but get to that when it comes -- first thing is to get it turning over -- without that, you can't proceed.

Ok, so I looked at the car again today. Removed the alternator pully and belt and still couldn't get anything turning over. So I removed the spark plugs and found the plug nearest the oil filler covered in oil as I mean the enter plug was covered so I don't think it's from spillage. The next one along was fine and so was the last one but the third was a bit coked up. Unfortunatly I still couldn't get the thing turning over! :mad: Any ideas?

did you remove all 4 plugs & then try turning engine by crankpulley,

if so then engine is siezed,

iwouid remove starter motor first, not fully just take bolts out and let it come away from engine,

if not this then, next step find out which end is locked, head or block,
slip cam belt off see if cam moves,

if block is doomed then find another lump out of low mileage punto,

perhaps someone else is got better ideas but this is what id do,

did you remove all 4 plugs & then try turning engine by crankpulley,

if so then engine is siezed,

iwouid remove starter motor first, not fully just take bolts out and let it come away from engine,

if not this then, next step find out which end is locked, head or block,
slip cam belt off see if cam moves,

if block is doomed then find another lump out of low mileage punto,

perhaps someone else is got better ideas but this is what id do,

I had removed all 4 spark plugs but it would not budge at all. I will remove the belt and pulley and try that

Back