Technical engine system failure

Currently reading:
Technical engine system failure

Hi

I am getting engine system failures. It occurs when engine is cold and under load, i.e. going up hill or under hard acceleration. Any ideas? The car is due its 72,000 service, GULP!:eek: , and before I go ahead, I want to know that there isn't anything terminally wrong with the engine. Perhaps the timing belt is slipping? or the oil isn't getting to where it should? If it looks like a further bill is in order, I want to sell it.

Abarth 2.4

Any help would be appreciated. (y)

Now I thought Abarth owners were meant to be men of steel, cool and level headed in any crisis, not selling the car because there's a titchy engine fault light on. You did go to the Abarth SAS training school didn't you?

Your car is talking to you and you need to tune in by finding out what the engine fault codes its recording are. Almost everyone has fault code readers these days. As it's a fault under load when cold then it's more likely fuel/ignition related (air filter/ injector/coil/ eng temp sensor/O2 sensor etc)

If your timing belt was slipping then it would be permanent and terminal

You're due a new timing belt and tensioner at that mileage I would have thought

See what the fault codes bring up, might just be a coilpack

Thanks, Thats good to hear. I am just paranoid since I nearly ran the engine dry of oil, see my earlier post - oil horror. The wife wants me to change it anyway - loss of sleep, bad fuel consumption, hitting every speed bump, running costs. The problem is there aren't any cars that can match the spec. at the price. A new Abarth, or Prestigio costs £1000's less than a JTD, and I think this says it all. BTW I have a hairy chest :p

"I am just paranoid since I nearly ran the engine dry of oil, see my earlier post - oil horror."
That was 7 months ago! The seasons have changed and global warming has moved on apace since then. Your engine wasn't so much "dry" as you still had oil and didn't have any low pressure warnings

If you haven't had a coil pack go by now then you're probably overdue:)

If you want something to worry about then look here. I can't fault their logic
http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/
(Warning- Don't read if you're suffering from depressive tendancies)

And on a lighter note. Anyone drive in tunnels often?
http://www.automotoportal.com/article/Wild_accidents_captured_in_Lefortovo_Tunnel_video

Last edited:
I like the moscow tunnel crash video. Just bought the backing tune on iTunes :devil: .
The oil light did come briefly, i.e. for a second when starting the engine on a hill. I hope no damage was done. I didn't see it again, fortunately. I didn't do anything about it at the time, because it was 6 in the morning on a wet day, and I was racing to catch the ferry. Looking at the service history, the car has had a few coil packs in the past.

kev1 said:
And on a lighter note. Anyone drive in tunnels often?

every bleedin' day - I'm a underground train driver:D :D

ALL ABOARD WOOOOO WOOOOO :p :D

Back