Technical Engine swap + Fiat 500 transaxle = ??

Currently reading:
Technical Engine swap + Fiat 500 transaxle = ??

Napalm Dog

Hey there, gentle-beings!

I'm (hopefully) rebuilding my 1972 Fiat 500L with a rather ambitious engine swap; A BMW R100 Airhead. This engine produces about 75 Nm(55 ft lbs) of torque peak. Considering this is significantly more than the stock 500 powerplant and I'm not finding any published information on the torque limitations of the Fiat's stock transaxle. Anyone have some experience on this? Thoughts also welcome! (Please note I have an Italian friend who is already infuriated by my plans! XD)

I ev-swapped my giardiniera with a motor that maxes out around 45 ft-lbs using the stock gearbox without issue, usually taking off in 3rd gear. Admittedly I don't drive it hard, have adjusted the throttle mapping to be gentle, and normally don't hammer up hills routinely, so take that with a grain of salt. I also looked around for max torque ratings and wasn't able to find anything definitive beyond what the original engine was rated to produce (about 30 ft lbs)

If anyone remembers the Peter Stevens Barchetta (the original) based on a Fiat 126
well it spurned many kit car knock offs....
One of the final reincarnations was to have a BWM bike engine and box....
it dissapeared as there was more ideas than business acumen...
but I think a prototype was built

If anyone remembers the Peter Stevens Barchetta (the original) based on a Fiat 126
well it spurned Spawned? many kit car knock offs....
One of the final reincarnations was to have a BWM bike engine and box....
it dissapeared as there was more ideas than business acumen...
but I think a prototype was built

We all know how you love a prototipi. ;)

Dam I must swallow a Dictionary..
Is it just me or is my web spell checker the only one that does not spell check this site an Fleabay..

Regret not buying a Peter Stevens original for £5k... they are very collectable now

Back