Engine Seized after 30 miles of Cambelt fix

Currently reading:
Engine Seized after 30 miles of Cambelt fix

Gluto88

Hi I was looking for adivce. My timing Belt went and was fixed at a local garage for 600 pounds. I have not paid yet. 30 miles later the engine seized and now they want another 400 pounds for a new engine and they will fit it for nothing.

My question is, Is it reasonable to assume that a garage which gets a car with 80k and 8years old with a timing belt that is shredded that it could be due to an imminent seizure problem? It was not any obvious reason why the belt had gone, engine oil causing perishing of the belt, completely seized part on the belt.

Would it be reasonable to assume that in the checks that you do not just check the top part of the engine but you would also check the condition of the lower part of the engine also?

They also asked, after fixing the Timing belt and valves, that the engine was difficult to turn over, which they got told then that that was not normal for the car.

There is oil in the car but obviously I do not know how good the system is lubricated, or if the problem was caused by coolant, but it was not hot at the time of the seizure (no smoke from the engine).

The way I'm reading this is that you spent £600 on fixing the car (be that on credit) so it should of been 'road worthy' at that point. It's like they knew it had a problem but still let it go out.
I think they should of sorted out the problem 1st time but for it to seize means after 30 miles means they didnt do the job in hand (depending on what was said) which I think means they failed you on the first part of the service agreed, so to charge another £400 is just taking the michael. I would contact trading standards to see where you stand as with cars its always a bit dodgey. If you really are thinking about contesting this, then get in contact and proper advice (sorry but a forum isnt going foward with it, perhaps help get confidence on how you feel - or perhaps not) like trading standards or CAB.

But... I presume this is what you meant? You didnt actually ask what you want advice for. Is £400 a good price for an engine? Well you would need to answer Custard's Q. :)

Playing devil's advocate here but I reckon the garage is going to say that they fixed the car as requested - was it down to them to be looking over the rest of the car if all you wanted was a new cambelt?

I would also have thought that after replacing the belt, the garage would say they ran the engine to operating temperature to make sure everything was working OK - and on top of this you drove it another 30 miles.

I'd be tempted to get an independant inspection to ascertain the reason for the failure, if it is down to the cambelt being incorrectly fitted then you can have them.

Did the engine seize or break?

dam man feel sorry for you.
but i would see some one and get some one who can voch for you in a court of law that where this is going.

but are you going to get a bew engin in it if so tell them that you wont take them to court if you dont get a refund and allso 300 quid knocked off for the new engin and make certin that you have the money of 600 pound in notes and not a check if they seem doggy :devil:

Depends what you told the garage was wrong and what you asked them to fix. It's not really very reasonable to expect a garage to strip and rebuild an engine just in case.

You need to get it independently inspected, if you're a member of the AA or RAC telephone them for advice. They might do the inspection. Once you have the independent inspection report you can take it further.

Its possible the garage didn't do the job properly in which case you can go for compensation but, if they did all reasonable repairs to a good standard then you might have to pay up for a new engine or new car.

Back