Engine revving when changing gear.

Currently reading:
Engine revving when changing gear.

TomTom121

Hi ,
I have had my Stilo for 14 years, fully serviced every year it`s been excellent until now.,...

When I change gear and take my foot off the accelerator and change gear, the engine keeps revving ,also when I come to a stop it`s as if I have my foot on the gas pedal.
Any ideas how to fix this problem. I live in Turkey and was told this is a normal problem with a Stilo?

Many thanks

It's not "a normal problem" - you have either a sticky throttle position sensor, or an air leak in the intake (engine side of the throttle body).

Take the air inlet pipe off the throttle body off and make sure the TB is clean inside.
Carefully remove any oil, liquids or gum that you see. Be careful in case the MAP sensor is fitted into the throttle body (I don't know what model you have) - it will look like a little wire sticking into the airflow. Just spray that (if you see it) with some electrical contact cleaner.. otherwise don't touch it.

Your throttle body will have a position sensor on it somewhere - look for a connector plug on the throttle body itself. You can probably remove that. Inside it wil be some kind of rotary valve or some other kind of vacuum sensor.

Use something soft like a cotton swab or Q-tip soaked in a solvent (even petrol) to carefully clean the moving parts. A spray of electrical contact cleaner a few times will help shift the oil and gum. The valve should rotate smoothly and easily, since it works on the intake vacuum. If you only have a vacuum sensor, then you need to clean it thoroughly.

When you put it all back together, make sure there are no air leaks. If you have cracked or loose hoses or hose conections, make sure they're air-tight. If you have any loose Klik clips or hose clamps, replace them with new ones that can be tightened up properly. That ought to do it.

Ralf S.

As Ralf says, no it's not a normal problem, and to be honest I'm surprised you listened to such Bull****e, especially as you say the Car's being running excellently for 14 years and been regularly serviced, but now it's suddenly happened.

You should of asked that if it were such a 'normal' problem, then what was the 'normal' solution to resolve the issue, and then get it fixed.

I would start looking at some of the more obvious causes such as sticky throttle pedal, carpet wedged under the pedal, etc. If you establish a smooth operation of the linkages, then start looking for a failure in one of the Injection components.

Back