Technical engine problems 60s 8 valve Punto

Currently reading:
Technical engine problems 60s 8 valve Punto

maxi_crawf

Hello all!

I previously put this on the newbie section, maybe it was the wrong spot!

I am trying to sort out my sons MKI (1998) 60s 8 valve.
He has had it for almost a year now and the problem is that it will now not do over 60mph and struggles up hills no matter what you do,this has been going on for about a month,

I have checked,
a, plugs and H/T leads
b, coils (both)
and they all seem ok
I also disconnected the lambda sensor and that made no difference
It is using a small amount of water but I put that down to his "Italian" driving there is no sign of "mayo" in the cam cover so I dont think there is HGF. is there anything I have missed?
He is getting a bit downhearted and I am getting a bit fedup with this.

maxi_crawf

Timing belt is OK? (it can be out for a tooth which can have similar symptoms)

It is using a small amount of water but I put that down to his "Italian" driving there is no sign of "mayo" in the cam cover so I dont think there is HGF. is there anything I have missed?

puntos don't mix oil and water, so there wouldn't be mayo- but loosing water and power does sound like HG failure.

does it white smoke at all? i'd get a compression test done.

Well I finally found out what was wrong with the old Bus!

The internals of the exhaust system had disintigrated, looks a bit like fibre glass and clogged up the exhaust restricting the exhaust gasses escape:eek:, the exhaust comes in one piece, it now goes like a rocket, it's another potential cause to look at, now I am relived and my son is a happy bunny(y)

maxi_crawf

Well sorted and thanks for putting the answer on here.

Just noticed, looks like your a local chap to me :D

Well I finally found out what was wrong with the old Bus!

The internals of the exhaust system had disintigrated, looks a bit like fibre glass and clogged up the exhaust restricting the exhaust gasses escape:eek:, the exhaust comes in one piece, it now goes like a rocket, it's another potential cause to look at, now I am relived and my son is a happy bunny(y)

maxi_crawf

glad you got it sorted, but since when did a 60 exhaust come in one peice :confused: manifold>cat>centre>back box :confused:

it now goes like a rocket

aye, thats a punto 60 for ya :rolleyes:

glad you got it sorted, but since when did a 60 exhaust come in one peice :confused: manifold>cat>centre>back box :confused:

aye, thats a punto 60 for ya :rolleyes:

Apologies! I meant to say from behind the cat backwards, 2 boxes and the tail pipe:eek:

Back