Technical Engine oil grade for my B

Currently reading:
Technical Engine oil grade for my B

I've just replaced my flux cap, it cost me £550.36 from the local garage - most expensive part on all Fiats, well that and the waffle sprocket!

Right! I spent yesterdays evening reading threads regarding oil and their grades.There is lots of info and believe I have a better understanding of multi grade oils and as i have gathered. the something no. w example: (5w40) the lower the no. before the w is the oils viscisity at cold start. The no. after w is its viscosity operating temp when hot.

So in theory a 5w oil will have better viscosity at cold start than a 10w. and and will lubricate the engine more faster, and a 0w even faster.

The 40grade will be thinner than 50 and 50 thinner than 60.

The B is listed or reccomended to use a 10/40 or 10/60 oil. But that would have been the grade listed at the time of manufacture.

As long as you keep the within the 40-60 grade you should be ok. (correct me if i,m wrong) but switching to a lesser w grade before should be better.

In todays times, it seems oils have considerely been improoved and a latest spec 0w or 5w should perform better on cold starts than a 10w.

Someone please tell me if this is correct and which leaves me with what would be the best possible oil to use in my B?

Hello,

I red your opinions... and I wanna say that i'm kinda against the magnatek 5w40.
I live in Romania and the coldest day in winter time is about -5 degrees and the hotest almost 35.
Whe the engine is cold the car runs like WOW (in winter time). When gets warm, while driving stop and go style... hre the traffic is ****ed up.... the engine becomes to sound bad... it's not a vum vum but more metalic sound... and i guess it's cause of the oil... and the engine looses power.
What oil should i try? 10w40?

thanks

Back