Technical engine management light on

Currently reading:
Technical engine management light on

hi

my engine management light is on, on the second cinq which i have just done the head gasket on. i replaced the gasket, rocker cover gasket, head skim, new bolts, oil and filter, new coolant, plugs and air filter. however when you first start the car the idle is high then it slowly goes back down to normal idle and stays there, the management light is on from starting to engine off and just stays on. there is a lot of condensation coming out of the exhaust which smells a bit of petrol and the manifold is smoking when it starts to get hot. i have cleaned the manifold to remove all oil that was on it but it still smokes. what could be causing this, is it all linked?

any help greatly apreciated.

Might be the second (post-cat) lambda (O2 sensor) as well, might be a good idea to have the code read by someone who has an OBD-II connector?

Last edited:
Might be the second (post-cat) lambda (O2 sensor) as well, might be a good idea to have the code read by someone who has an OBD-II connector?

Ah, but it's a Cinq -- only one lambda. My guess is air leak somewhere in the throttle body area.

And no OBD-11 connector either.

Reversed vacuum connections on the back ofthe TB?

Cheers

SPD

cheers for the help guys will have a really good look tomorrow armed with the diagram for all the connections and see what is going on and then report back. another symptom that ive got is that when i take the airbox cover off it smells abit of petrol and can see some splatter on the roof of the box but the filter is clean since i changed it.

had a look today and the breather pipe wasn't pushes right into the pipe coming from the rocker cover pushed it in (so you can no longer see the brass bit) and hey presto as soon as i started it it was better. took it off again and notice a lump of crud so removed that and refitted. still getting a lot of condensation out of the exhaust and water is physically dripping from it. believe this is from when the head gasket went and when its been sitting there. im still getting the engine management light even though i have reset the ecu. it went out when i first started it but came back on about 30 seconds later so i believe that one of the sensors has been damaged. possibly lambda?

Back