Engine maintenance light on/car shakes on start up

Currently reading:
Engine maintenance light on/car shakes on start up

Kimmyangel

Hi
I was wondering if anyone could help me, i have an x reg punto, old banger bless her, anyway , the engine maintenance light is constantly on and as stated shakes on start up, it sounds like the revs are struggling, its fine to drive but i recently noticed its either losing/using water rapidly, i have had coils changed as that was an issue recently, lambda sensor and plugs in last 6 months, any help would be very much appreciated , also oil is fine and temperature light does not come on.

Hi
I was wondering if anyone could help me, i have an x reg punto, old banger bless her, anyway , the engine maintenance light is constantly on and as stated shakes on start up, it sounds like the revs are struggling, its fine to drive but i recently noticed its either losing/using water rapidly, i have had coils changed as that was an issue recently, lambda sensor and plugs in last 6 months, any help would be very much appreciated , also oil is fine and temperature light does not come on.

So you've got
Poor start up = Misfire on startup
using water

That my friend is possibly HG, as water is flooding cylinders while sat overnight...

Find out where the coolant is going - a water leak is bad, as your risk a HG

ziggy

It doesnt seem to be losing water overnight, i checked that, the head gasket went on my old punto and the temperature gauge went into red, this is slightly "newer" and it is not overheating has an electrical light which hasnt come on, thanks for all your help, im just hoping it isnt that as that means no car :-(, once the car gets going the juddering stops, i am going to take it to a garage in next few weeks , was just hoping it was not HG.

So you've got
using water

That my friend is possibly HG, as water is flooding cylinders while sat overnight...

ziggy

Forgot to quote you, sorry.

bottom line.. if the coolant is disappearing = it's leaking.

from where..?? is the important question,
when parked-up COLD
use a TORCH / phone screen to shine down the side of the filler neck on radiator,
top-up ( with coolant) level to the MAX line,
check again after 50 miles,
repeat a few times,
IF you have to top-up every 50 miles, and you can't see any drips under car Head Gasket is indeed prime suspect,

is the engine 8 valve of 16V..??,
cheaper / simpler job on 8V, the parts are @ £25,

Charlie

So you've got
using water

ziggy

Just need to revise my post, i know its been raining but there appears to be fresh water dripping near the front wheel drivers side, not loads a very very slow drip, and its the only wet patch under my car. Not rained since last night as far as i know.

bottom line.. if the coolant is disappearing = it's leaking.

from where..?? is the important question,
when parked-up COLD
use a TORCH / phone screen to shine down the side of the filler neck on radiator,
top-up ( with coolant) level to the MAX line,
check again after 50 miles,
repeat a few times,
IF you have to top-up every 50 miles, and you can't see any drips under car Head Gasket is indeed prime suspect,

is the engine 8 valve of 16V..??,
cheaper / simpler job on 8V, the parts are @ £25,

Charlie

I have just said above there seems to be dripping under drivers side near wheel, very very slowly, like a tap when off. Its a 1.2

Just for reference if anyone has similar issues, water was fine in the end, my engine ecu had blown, coils go first which blows the ecu, all fine now.

Back