General Engine identification

Currently reading:
General Engine identification

hodgy18

Established member
How do you identify what 650 engine has been put in a car? Looked on the net and can't see anything.

Anyway identifying without any serious actions?

That's a good question and not easy to answer. Given that items get swapped out makes it even harder. I'm guessing that the internal shape of the cylinder head is a good clue and there may be numbers on the top which correlate. The engine number gives a good rough date of manufacture as do some date markings found on alloy parts. I know that camshafts changed with development, as did ignition setups and the generator. The muffler shape on the later models was cylindrical. I think you will find it hard to say which 650 you have without dismantling plus some guesswork. The real changes would be in compression ratio which increased over time and the valve timing according to camshaft. I doubt there's a massive difference in unmodified engines. Toshi 975 is most likely to know.

Do you a picture might help if I post one?

Hopefully pics are decent enough 20190213_191923.jpeg20190213_191911.jpeg20190213_191856.jpeg

Sorry to have to tell you, but I don't think that you have a 650 engine in your car. First of all, check the engine number---if the engine number will start with a "126 A1", then it IS a 650. If it starts with a "126 A", then it is a 594cc engine (500R/Mk 1 126). The main thing that set me thinking is that you have a generator on the engine----the Mk 2 126 (652cc) had an Alternator! I can't think of any sensible reason why somebody would go to all the trouble of retrofitting a dynamo to a 652cc 126 engine. The engine number can be found on a machined face, just to the right of the fuel pump.

The cylinder head is always a good indicator so if you can get a picture of any writing on top of the casting at the front it would be useful. :)

Good spot and many thanks for pointing me in the direction of this marking.
So my car has been lying to me......
Many thanks for the help!20190213_210729.jpeg

It's says fiat 126A. Can't see anything after that

Sorry to have to correct you Peter----but "126A" is only 594cc, and was used in the 500R and the first of the 126 cars and they had dynamos fitted. When they went to 652cc, the engine number changed to "126A1" and they were fitted with alternators.

Sorry to have to correct you Peter----but "126A" is only 594cc, and was used in the 500R and the first of the 126 cars and they had dynamos fitted. When they went to 652cc, the engine number changed to "126A1" and they were fitted with alternators.
Sorry..that sounds right. I'm away from homeand my references and I was referring back to memory where I thought that 126A5 was 594, but that was possibly just when fitted to a 500R., (or possibly not at all[emoji3]).

There is an assumption here that the engine has been transferred as a complete unit but because of the interchangeable parts the engine could be a hybrid so I would still check the cylinder head marking and the carb code as well as it could be running a restricted 500R carb. Also I am led to believe that an economy model Fiat 126 was available in Poland that used a dynamo rather than an alternator so a dynamo may not automatically indicate a 594 engine.

So hodgy18, now that's settled as a 594cc engine; are you disappointed and was there something about the performance that made you ask the question? There's only 58cc difference and you've got that 95cc advantage over the original engine, so things should be OK. [emoji3]

Not too disappointed no. But now Ill be able to find all the correct settings for the valve clearing, timing etc as I'm still having the cutting out when it gets hot. Fitted the spark plug lugs to stop the loss of sir and I've cleaned the carb out. Just need to do the other bits.

Back